Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Error code : 0x8007007e

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Nov-2004, 08:45 AM #1
My friends computer has come up with the error "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error code : 0x8007007e " at startup, and when [OK] is clicked it immediately logs back out.

I have been searching nonstop for a solution and found a similar problem posted here by Riempie, however, unlike Riempie i cannot do anything in safe mode, Explorer.exe will not start because it cant find Uxtheme.dll, and ctrl + alt + del only brings up an error that taskmgr.exe will not start because iphlpapi.dll cannot be found, all my friend could tell me is that the comp was taking too long to shut down so he held down the power button, i can only assume that it was installing an update at the time.

This is a completely legal copy of XP Home and has SP1 installed, i would prefer not to reformat, perhaps a repair would work, has anyone had any luck with this? i have programs installed that i no longer have the ability to reinstall..

i have looked through the MSKB and everything i find asks me to goto start>run>... but how can i if i cant open the explorer GUI..

any suggestions? please...
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: mcse+security
08-Nov-2004, 09:07 AM #2
Check out this link. XP has many restore points that most people dont know about.http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/0..._boot_toot.htm
Junior Member with 4 posts.

08-Nov-2004, 09:23 AM #3
thanks ca02, ill try the restore and post back how it goes...
Junior Member with 1 posts.

13-Aug-2008, 10:49 AM #4
Hi,
I am having the same problem you had and i was wondering if you were able to fix it and how?

Thanks..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!