Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

End Program Sample.exe error at shutdown

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Nov-2004, 04:16 AM #1
Exclamation End Program Sample.exe error at shutdown
I recently came across an odd problem. When windows XP would be shutdown an end program(sample.exe) error window would pop up,,and the shutdown would hang until the user clicked end program tab.For some reason reinstalling the wireless network card (intel) and going through the setup corrected this issue. I have ran accross this problem twice now. Does anyone know what could be causing this,,and what the program sample.exe is? It didnt show up in taskmanager,,and all startup and non-microsoft related service were disabled via msconfig. Any information on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Senior Member with 2,326 posts.

14-Nov-2004, 10:08 AM #2
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Nov-2004, 02:49 PM #3
Thanks for the info..
Junior Member with 5 posts.

15-Aug-2008, 08:42 PM #4
Hi! I'm having the same problem too. Actually I got a new hard disk. I discovered that I have the "sample.exe" problem cropping up everytime I try to shutdown. I followed the previous advice by running the W32.Nimda.E@mm Removal Tool that you recommended, but unfortunately the program keeps crashing during scanning. I've tried running the program under Safe Mode, but to no avail. It still crashes. Currently my computer is running on WindowsXP with Service Pack 3. I am using AVG Anti-virus software, and it doesn't pick up any abnormal program. So now I'm still stuck with the "sample.exe" problem. Please help. Thank you.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 242 posts.

Experience: Mid-Intermediate
15-Aug-2008, 08:59 PM #5
Go into add/remove programs and remove any programs you don't recognize.

If you are just wanting to auto end a task, there is a registry edit for it.

Go to Start>Run Type in the text box : regedit

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]

"AutoEndTasks"

Double click and change this from 0 to 1

15-Aug-2008, 09:51 PM #6
I've followed your instructions, but still the same problem
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2008, 10:34 PM #7
1.Do you have a restore point before the problem started occurring??

2.Click start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs

and run the uninstallation of the Intel PROset. (if the program is installed)

3.Go here and download Spybot. Run program and remove any threats it finds.

4.Now, download SuperAntiSpyware from the link below.
https://www.superantispyware.com

1.Once on the website choose the free edition and save the setup file to your desktop.
2.Install SuperAntiSpyware
3.Open up SuperAntiSpyware.
4.Now click on Scan Your Computer
5.Under the options choose Full System Scan
6.Let the scan finish. *This may take about three hours or more depending on the size of your hard drive*
7.Once the scan is finished remove all spyware threats it finds.
8.On prompt, restart your computer.

If it is not the IntelProset program try downloading this program again from here.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...imda.e@mm.html

and --->>

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...imda.a@mm.html

5.It may be a error in the OS.

You will need your XP disk for this.

Go to My Computer.

Highlight the C: drive.

Go to File>Properties

Go to the Tools tab.

Click on Error Checking

Click check now

Check off automatically fix system errors.

15-Sep-2008, 07:01 AM #8
Hi sorry for not replying sooner, I've been traveling.

I've tried all the steps you've advised but to no avail. The Symantec program you suggested keeps crashing mid scan. I also tried scanning my OS and it stopped mid way (I can't remember why, I'll scan it again later to inform you what was the error message).

I also tried SuperAntiSpyware to scan my comp, and it did not detect anything.

However, I tried using Avira anti-virus to scan my comp, and it did detect the nimda virus. At the end of the scan, Avira said that it has deleted the virus. But when I shutdown my computer, I still get the annoying "sample.exe" error.

What else can I do to end this once and for all?
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2008, 05:32 PM #9

16-Sep-2008, 07:36 PM #10
I do have Uniblue Registry Booster and I've scanned my system. It has cleaned out all the errors. But when I run the Symantec W32.Nimda.E@mm removal tool, it still crashes in the middle of scanning.

And yes, when I restart my computer to check and see if all is well after the Uniblue scan, I am still plagued with the annoying sample.exe.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

16-Sep-2008, 08:45 PM #11
Download, install and run HiJackThis
Run the Scan and save log file option
When the LOG files opens in NotePad, Select All, Copy
Then, return here and in a reply post, Paste.

FYI, the "errors" that the "booster" found, really weren't! That is how there purveyors of trash, get you to believe their programs actually do something useful.

17-Sep-2008, 01:04 AM #12
Is this what I'm supposed to post?

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 07:02:55, on 17/09/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.20861)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ThpSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Wireless Hotkey\TosHKCW.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\ItSecMng.exe
C:\Program Files\Atheros\ACU.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\thpsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster\RegistryBooster.exe
C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Widgets\YahooWidgets.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\program\soffice.BIN
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: btorbit.com - {000123B4-9B42-4900-B3F7-F4B073EFC214} - C:\Program Files\Orbitdownloader\orbitcth.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: QFX Software KeyScrambler - {2B9F5787-88A5-4945-90E7-C4B18563BC5E} - C:\Program Files\KeyScrambler\KeyScramblerIE.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZCfgSvc.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmoothView] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] TFncKy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TosHKCW.exe] "C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Wireless Hotkey\TosHKCW.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] NDSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TouchED] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ITSecMng] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\ItSecMng.exe /START
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACU] "C:\Program Files\Atheros\ACU.exe" -nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ThpSrv] thpsrv /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Corel Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\Corel PhotoDownloader\Corel PhotoDownloader.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue RegistryBooster 2009] C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster\RegistryBooster.exe /S
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.4.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Startup: Yahoo! Widgets.lnk = C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Widgets\YahooWidgets.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WordWeb.lnk = C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/201
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Grab video by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/204
O8 - Extra context menu item: Do&wnload selected by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/203
O8 - Extra context menu item: Down&load all by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/202
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {5C106A59-CC3C-4caa-81A4-6D909B5ACE23} - C:\Program Files\KeyScrambler\KeyScramblerIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &KeyScrambler... - {5C106A59-CC3C-4caa-81A4-6D909B5ACE23} - C:\Program Files\KeyScrambler\KeyScramblerIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service (CFSvcs) - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA HDD Protection (Thpsrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ThpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Bluetooth Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtSrv.exe

--
End of file - 11029 bytes
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

17-Sep-2008, 08:09 PM #13
First, please uninstall Uniblue's Registry Booster before it does serious damage to your PC. Registry cleaners do nada except cause issues.

Even the sample.exe problem could be as a result.

Sample is not running all the time, so it must be initiated by one of the other running apps. None appear to be malicious, so let's do the following:

Do a Search for Sample.exe
Start > Search > Files/folders
under more advanced options, ensure that System Folders, Hidden files and folders, subfolders are all selected.

When Sample.exe is found, note what Folder it is living in.
Then, select it, right mouse, properties
On the Version Tab, note the
File Description
Copyright
Company

Then, rename the file.

Shutdown, and see if there are any problems.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!