Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: The File 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed

(!)

Member with 42 posts.

Experience: knowledgeable
20-Nov-2004, 11:42 PM #1
Solved: The File 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed
Trying to do a 'repair' re-install of Windows XP Home Edition. I get through the loading of files and into the first installation window of Windows XP (after the 1st restart) and then get the system windows asking for [B]'The File ASMS on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click OK/B]'. The text in the path text box is 'GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386'. The ASMS file (directory) is in the 1st level directory of I386 on the CD. This is also a valid OEM CD with the Hologram. The system has two CD drives; one is a CD drive and the other is a DVD/CD RW drive. It seems it is not communicating with the drive properly. I've tried D:\I386, E:\I386 & F:\I386. Basically, I've tried to do it about any way I can think of. Even tried using each of the CD drives. I'm running out of ideas and really don't want to lose the 'not backed up' data on the HD with a full re-install of Windows. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. Would be very grateful for any input!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
21-Nov-2004, 12:00 AM #2
The machine is not communicating with the CD-ROM.

When the message appears, type: Shift+F10 to enter a command session.

Type: regedit.exe at the prompt.

Highlight the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry.

Go to the File menu and choose Load Hive.

Then, load %Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav
Give it a short name that you will remember, like "Test".

Then, find this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS keys.

Do the same for ControlSet2 and any other numbered ControlSet keys you see.

Exit regedit.
Member with 42 posts.

21-Nov-2004, 12:22 AM #3
I found these same steps on the Microsoft site and am checking them out now. . . will let you now! Thanks for the quick response!
Member with 42 posts.

21-Nov-2004, 01:57 AM #4
resolved
It worked just as stated! I now reached the loading of the drivers in the installing phase. It gets about 65% of the drivers loaded and then asks for 'Please insert the Compact Disk labeled ' VIA AGP Filter Driver Disk' into your CDROM driv e (D and then click OK. You can also click OK if you want files to be copied from an alternate location, such as a floppy disk'. I found it at the URL: http://usa.asus.com/download/mbdriver/mb-utility.htm and loaded the driver to floppy and so far so good. . . Everything 'finally' completed. Thank you again for your quick response!
This is happily resolved!!!

Last edited by denels; 21-Nov-2004 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: resolved
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
21-Nov-2004, 09:50 AM #5
That's good news. I had the same problem trying to repair SP2.

Luckily, you can just skip the VIAAGP1 file and it will still install perfectly. You just need to update the VIA drivers later.

Thanks for the followup.

For the future, use this program to back up all your current drivers. Then, when setup asks for that AGP file, all you need do is direct it to the correct folder. Youcan also burn the folder to CD to have backups for all your drivers. Saves looking for them again.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/WDBack.exe

Last edited by Elvandil; 21-Nov-2004 at 12:59 PM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Apr-2008, 05:14 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by denels View Post
and then asks for 'Please insert the Compact Disk labeled ' VIA AGP Filter Driver Disk'
Hi, I just found this forum today by doing a Google search for the phrase quoted above. I have a friend who cannot get her computer to start up. It is saying this message. She has the Windows XP SP2 disc, and she put it into the CD-ROM, but nothing is getting her past this message. She tried to do a SHIFT+F10, and nothing happened. Does anyone have some steps I can print out before I go to her house to try to fix her computer. Should I download some files to a CD before I go over there? She only has a CD-ROM. She does have a floppy disc drive.

I am going over there in an hour or so. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks!

Mark
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!