Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Right-clicking on desktop causes crash

(!)

Member with 99 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Dec-2004, 06:18 PM #1
Right-clicking on desktop causes crash
I'm running Windows XP with all service packs/updates, and the computer is free of spyware/adware/malware/viruses. I've even reformatted and reinstalled the OS to try to fix this problem, but it's still there. When I right-click on the desktop, I'm first told that Windows Explorer has encountered problems and needs to close. Then, I'm told that DrWatson Postmortem Debugger (never heard of it) has encountered problems and needs to close. At this time, the computer freezes and I must manually reboot.

Any idea what's causing this to occur?
Member with 99 posts.

10-Dec-2004, 12:23 AM #2
Bump.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

10-Dec-2004, 01:23 AM #3
It appears that Dr. Watson has some problems of his own. If you look in Task Manager, you will see another instance of the good doctor trying to figure out what went wrong with his first incarnation. If you terminate both, you will not need to reboot.

To disable Dr. Watson altogether, run: regedit.

Find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug
and change the value of "Auto" to 0 to disable him.

As far as the right-click errors, try Context Edit. Look for the file-types that cause the problem (or look for Folders and File Folders if it happens with folders), or choose the "All File" thing at the beginning if it happens with all files, click the button at the bottom to go to Master File Type if nothing is listed for that particular entry, and look through the list of items in the context menu that you can uncheck and disable. Try them on a trial-and-error basis until you find out which item causes the crash.

When you find it, either leave it disabled, or find an update for the program responsible.

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilfile/cnxtedit.zip
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

10-Dec-2004, 10:15 AM #4
Have you checked the Event Viewer for clues on this problem?
Member with 99 posts.

10-Dec-2004, 11:33 AM #5
I went ahead and disabled DrWatson, which helps. Now, if I right-click on the desktop, Windows Explorer will crash, give me the option to send an error report, then will quickly reload itself (no reboot needed). And the problem lies in right-clicking on the desktop background, not on a file or folder.

Here's what I pulled from Event Viewer after the crash occurs:

Application Error:

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module hccutils.dll, version 3.0.0.1992, fault address 0x0000a550.

Immediately following that is another Application Error:

Fault bucket 129671331.

And then Winlogon Information:

The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.
Computer Specs

10-Dec-2004, 09:47 PM #6
That is actually helpful. It looks like that dll, hccutils.dll, which is probably responsible for the crash, is what you need to deal with. Do you know what application that refers to?

Download and run this program. Look for that dll and find out what application it belongs to. Then, you have a few options. You can disable the dll in the program, you can reinstall the application, or you can look for an update to the application that may have solved the problem.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

If you are running any Symantec products or PCAnywhere, the problem may be the result of incompatibility between those programs and the Intel graphics driver:

http://support.intel.com/support/gra.../CS-004230.htm
Member with 99 posts.

11-Dec-2004, 12:47 AM #7
I'm not sure as of yet what application that .dll file refers to. And I'm not using PCAnywhere or any Symantec products, so it's not that.

The problem is on my girlfriend's computer, and she just took it back home with her (from campus), so it might be a week or so until I can mess with it. As soon as I can, I'll try the program you suggested and report back. Thanks!
Computer Specs

11-Dec-2004, 01:04 AM #8
Good luck.
Member with 99 posts.

03-Jan-2005, 08:59 PM #9
Sorry for the wait. Couldn't get to this until now.

Well, I tried the program (ShellExView), but the offending file (hccutils.dll) didn't show up in the list it gave me. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Member with 99 posts.

03-Jan-2005, 09:00 PM #10
Oh, and the full path for the file is C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccutils.dll, but I don't know exactly what that file is used for.
Member with 99 posts.

05-Jan-2005, 01:48 PM #11
Bump.
Member with 99 posts.

19-Jan-2005, 03:03 AM #12
Bump.
Computer Specs

19-Jan-2005, 12:32 PM #13
Member with 99 posts.

19-Jan-2005, 02:45 PM #14
The computer has no Symantec products (or PCAnywhere) installed, but I decided to try Intel's solution just in case... however, after finding the right driver to download, I was told that the driver should not be used if the system has a third-party graphics card (which mine does: an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200). And if you're thinking that this problem might lie within the new graphic card; it was occurring before I even installed it.

Thanks, though. Any other ideas?
Member with 1,657 posts.

19-Jan-2005, 04:42 PM #15
Try to right click on the file and choose Properties. Might get some information from the Version tab.

moper
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!