Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

deleted registry keys by mistake

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Dec-2004, 07:51 PM #1
deleted registry keys by mistake
This will sound really like a really stupid thing to have done, but basically i followed a troubleshooting article on the microsoft website to try and fix an error on my PC, (every time i shut down i get a big blue screen thing). Part of what it suggested was removing a number of files from the registry. I did this but unfortnatly i seem to have just made things worse. The error message still appears when i shutdown but now i seem to have deleted something needed for my CD drive as this now says that the regisry is corrupted in its error box. Is there any way of getting the files i deleted back ( i did not make any backups)

I am running windows 2000 and the files i deleted were Cdralw2k and Cdr4_2k
Senior Member with 150 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Dec-2004, 08:45 PM #2
Now you have learned an important lesson on why Microsoft warns you to "BACKUP" your registry befor messing around with it.
Senior Member with 2,326 posts.

18-Dec-2004, 08:52 PM #3
Click start/run Type: cmd
In the Command window type:
SFC /scannow Note the space between SFC and /scannow

You can copy/paste: SFC /scannow

Hit the Enter button
keep your Win2k cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom
If that doesn't work you can do a repair installation that will leave all of your files intact.
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst...y/repair2k.htm
Member with 22,468 posts.

18-Dec-2004, 08:54 PM #4
It sounds like you deleted files in addition to registry keys. Those are not native Windows2000 files.

What was the problem you were having and where is the page from MS that suggested the solution.

19-Dec-2004, 09:00 AM #5
Thanks for the suggestions!

The original problem was that ever since my pc got upgraded to windows 2000 i hav been getting a big blue screen saying STOP: 0x00000000A then a load of other numbers and stuff then it says it is starting a dump of physical memory. I can't remember exactly what it does because it has now decided to restart my PC after the error flashes onto the screen for about a second.

The page with the support from microsoft is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;165863

Thanks
Ali
Senior Member with 534 posts.

19-Dec-2004, 11:17 AM #6
cdralw2k.sys and cdr4_2k.sys are NT/W95 32 bit driver files that are normally found in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers. It is unlikely that you were able to expunge all references to them in the registry (there 12 references for each driver and some are control services). The drivers are in the attachment together with listings of the registry keys for each. If you need any of the keys post which ones you are lacking.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Drivers_RegKeys.zip (251.1 KB, 173 views)

19-Dec-2004, 12:27 PM #7
Ok, I have both the files already, the registry bits i dont have are marked with crosses in the attachment as it will take too much space to write them all out here

For the ones that refer to controlset003 i do not have these because i have nothing called controlset003 in the registry
Attached Files
File Type: zip RegKeys.zip (188.6 KB, 97 views)
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
19-Dec-2004, 12:48 PM #8
Those drivers are distributed by Creative with some of their software, and versions of them are installed with some versions of Windows Media Player for burning music.

But, chances are that you have Roxio EZ CD Creator installed and that both of them, along with their registry keys, were put into the system by that installation.

Re-install Roxio EZ CD Creator and those registry keys and the missing files will be restored. But if you don't use it, or want it, since it is probably responsible for your blue screens, jusy go to Add/Remove and finish the uninstallation.

(The CurrentControlSet3 branch is very uncommon except in dockable laptops. You can safely ignore those keys. In fact, you can ignore 1 and 2, also, since those will be replaced when you replace any keys in CurrentControlSet.)

Last edited by Elvandil; 19-Dec-2004 at 12:55 PM..

19-Dec-2004, 01:06 PM #9
Attached are the KEYS associated with cd4_2k.sys. First, before you import any of them, double check them to make sure I have included your checked KEYS and second, if you did not have a control set 003, I suggest that you do not import any referring to 003.

I will recover the remaining set of KEYS and send them next.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Keys_CD4_2K.zip (4.8 KB, 52 views)

19-Dec-2004, 01:31 PM #10
Attached is a zip of the remaining KEYS. Again, double check them before you import them. Also, you should have a backup of your current registry before importing any KEY.

Incidentally, if you had any contro set 003 KEYS you would have had to use regedt32 to remove them and probably done near fatal damage to your registry.

A minor comment,the 003s refer to DVD drive control sets not to anything involving laptop docking, etc.. I have two DVDs; a passive drive and a DVD writer.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cdral.zip (5.2 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Arky; 19-Dec-2004 at 02:07 PM..
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2004, 01:47 PM #11
That would give you another control set. The only ones I've seen were from dockable machines, but then they are uncommon even then.

It would appear that the OP may not actually even want these keys restored since those drivers are almost certainly responsible for the blue screens. Then again, we are not sure that other keys may have been removed other then the ones mentioned in the article (hopefully not).

In any case, if Roxio isn't used, it would be best to just be rid of it. There are a lot of burning programs, including free ones, that don't cause all the present and no doubt future problems that Roxio does.

19-Dec-2004, 06:25 PM #12
I have added all the registry keys that do not refer to controlset 003, but it still says my registry is corrupted.

Incidentally, i did have roxio cd software on my pc for a while when i was using a borrowed external cd writer, but if these files were added by that program why would they affect the other cd drive on my pc, that worked fine before they were there?
Member with 91 posts.

19-Dec-2004, 06:29 PM #13
Addition of superfluous registry entires does not cause a problem. Deletions can kill you.
Computer Specs

22-Dec-2004, 03:53 AM #14
Drivers left behind by Roxio are a bane to those who want to try to install new burning software.

Unfortunately, some of the same drivers are used in the simplified Roxio burner that is built into Windows Media Player.

Try finding those files and deleting them. Then, search the registry and remove all references to them. To restore those that belong in XP, and their registry keys, re-install the Windows Media Player.

If you don't presently have any Roxio software installed, you might also search the registry and remove all references to Roxio software.

-------------------------------

The "addition of superfluous registry keys" can, indeed, cause very serious problems. Since you have had Roxio installed at some point, you should also look for these extra keys and remove them:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
-Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the above
registry key.

You should try installing those things that relate to your CD drives, such as Windows Media Player. That will at least re-create the keys that refer to the drivers that Roxio and WMP had in common.

22-Dec-2004, 10:20 AM #15
FIXED!!!

I don't know why i didn't work before when it did it automatically, but i tried just using the update driver wizard from the device manager and it has decided to work! many thanks for all your help and suggestions. next time i will make sure i backup everything before doing what microsoft or anyone else tells me to do.

Incidentally i am still getting the original problem with the stop errors, does anyone have any ideas on possible causes and solutions?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!