Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Huge Endless Runaround with Scepol.log

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Apparently quite good
09-Jan-2005, 05:06 PM #1
Exclamation Huge Endless Runaround with Scepol.log
Ever see that Three Stooges sketch where one of them finds $10, only to be told he owes $20 to the next guy? "Here's $10, I owe you $10." It goes round-robin and ends up with "Here's the $0 I owe you" also going around. Ends up with the guy who find the first $10 saying "we're all even."

Well that's been me the last 2 days researching KB827684 Hotfix notice for scepol.log "growing beyond control." I'm at 3MB - some have it far worse and are at 80-200MB. You can NOT turn it off with a registry fix (let alone FIND that key to label it "0"). SOME are having fragmentation problems beyond all this, some 100-200 fragments - I have not had that problem but I want it purged!

The hotfix just ins't available - can't even get the number. I'm wondering if ANYONE can help (which is what other Googled requests have said) simply RESETTING that thing to 0 for now.

apparently Service Pack 5 will address the issue, which isn't obviously out yet. There MUST be a way to delete or set it to zero; I've tried deleting, opening it up, selecting all, backspace "Save," - nothing. Won't move it to another folder or rename it. I've done registry tweaks before and repaired lost .dll's . . . but I'm no expert like some (most) of you. I'm hoping aI won't have to "open up in Safe Mode and do command line stuff," for example. Does ANYONE (and there is NOTHING ON THE WEB that I can find) have a clue as to how to fix this? Referring me to MS "Support" won't help - that's just an endless loop of links and nonsense.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this IN ADVANCE - an awful lot of people have had this gripe and NONE got any help - perhaps the answer is here! I've set options to email me immediately and thank you for your help.

11-Jan-2005, 03:03 PM #2
Bump - Not that many "experts" on here or what? On forums where I AM THE "advice giver," I respond same day and sometimes same hour. Wonder how many people even look at this thing . . . . .
Member with 253 posts.

11-Jan-2005, 06:02 PM #3
I'm looking at it, but it doesn't help...
Member with 253 posts.

11-Jan-2005, 06:16 PM #4
You must have seen http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3100/rh3100.htm and then theres's http://www.archive-one.com/new-869969-3998.html which sounds helpful:

Can you check the following registry values?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SecEdit

Value Name: PolicyDebugLevel
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Radix: Decimal/Hex
Value: 0

Set the size of the Scepol.log file, set the "POlicyLogSize" value to 0
(default is 1MB if set to 0) (may have to create this value, if not
existing)

Value Name: PolicyLogSize
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Radix: Decimal/Hex
Value: 0

Once settings these values, you may need to remove the existing file. You
can't rename it in normal mode. You will need to boot to DS Restore mode
to unlock the file.

Best Regards,

John Bay, MCSE 2000
Microsoft Support Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

12-Jan-2005, 05:13 PM #5
Thank you John - this is a breakthrough even having someone "take it on." Thanks so much!
Yes, in the process of "hunting," I found the reference to that reg entry and it doesn't seem to exist; at least I can't find it - but I come real close!! I took a screen shot of what I did find, and if I can post it here I will. Otherwise I'll look for a "PM" or email button for you and give you my email, and then send it to you (if I may). Got to
and saw 4 entries, but none named "PolicyLogSize."

Also, I don't know how to remove the existing file by booting to "DS Restore Mode" (YIKES!) . . . is that "safe mode?" Believe it or not never had to use that either. I understand START>RUN regedit and %appdata% and stuff like that, but I think you're already beyond me. If I could just DELETE the thing as you instruct, I wouldn't even mind just starting over at zero with it. It's currently 3025k and growing; supposed to default to 1024 but obviously doesn't.

VERY MUCH appreciate your help.

21-Jan-2005, 04:26 AM #6
Red face Found The Answer
It was so simple. I made the two registry entries (created them) regarding the "log," as John suggested but scepol persisted. Here's the simple answer:

GET MOVEONBOOT. That's right -- freeware -- MoveOnBoot.

Do a search for "files and folders," search for .log or scepol.log, and it will be there.

Drag into the MoveOnBoot window. Follow the steps (I think that involves hitting "Next!") - and restart the computer.

BOOM. Gone. Goodnight. It returned at 10k instead of 3200k and perhaps the reg entries for PolicyDebugLevel and LogSize will now keep it to 1024k; if not, I'll just "whack it" again. Ahhh, sweet resolve. Thanks to all who TRIED to help and for putting up with emails and questions and nervous whining . . . I hope this works for a lot of you. JOHN: thanks so much for your suggestions. Also many thanks to a great fellow named Gary who went back and forth in trying to help as well. Cheers to all of you.

By the way . . . MoveOnBoot will copy, move or delete ANY file on restart (boot) . . . including index.DAT. I searched for an answer to this for two solid weeks, and the the answer was a freeware from "Angels" as I described them when I emailed the developers a HUGE thank you letter!! Hopefully others looking for a solution to this will stumble upon this forum as I did.

Last edited by W2KPaul; 21-Jan-2005 at 04:32 AM..
Senior Member with 135 posts.

Experience: Loads
10-Jul-2008, 11:27 AM #7
Just digging out an old thread here as one of my customers have a scepol.log file on their SBS 2003 server that is over 450MB and the C drive is down to it's last 50MB. There's really nothing at all that I can move from the C drive (Exchange database and logs, data, etc, all on D drive). Need to go back tomorrow to sort it out as Symantec AV has stopped doing its updates.

Just asking, do I need to do the registry hack before using the MoveOnBoot utility?

And do I need to apply the Microsoft 827684 hotfix? I'm guessing not as it says it doesn't apply to 2003.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!