Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

internet won't disconnect?

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Feb-2005, 01:50 PM #1
internet won't disconnect?
I have bt broadband 1 meg connection,when i have finnished with the internet i click on the icon in the task bar and click disconnect,all the programs i was using(like msn messenger,yahoo messenger)will disconect,but the internet doesn't,the little icon still says that the internet is connected,and if i try to shut down my pc,i get a box saying"connections tray"this program isn't responding,end now"and when i click end now,my pc starts to shut down,but goes to the saving your settings screen,and stays there,i have to switch it off manully on the front panel of my pc.
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Feb-2005, 03:09 PM #2
broadband is alway connected, why do you try to disconnect?

unplug the nic card, turn off the modem.
Senior Member with 200 posts.

Experience: Computer Technician
03-Feb-2005, 03:30 PM #3
Most broadband is always connected...not all.
You might want to check what processes are running, one could be holding the connection open. If you wanted to go all out you could go to network connections and right click and click disable.

03-Feb-2005, 04:10 PM #4
when you say its always connected,i have a shortcut on my desktop labelled bt broadband,and i double click it,and i get a box open(like you would if you had dial up)and i click"connect"and it dials a number (0,38)if i don't disconnect my pc won't shut down,it goes to""connections tray"this program isn't responding,end now"and when i click end now it just hangs on the "saving your settings screen"but if i was to format and load my modem again,it would work ok for a while,it would disconnect and shut down ok,but after a while it does the same again??
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Feb-2005, 10:08 PM #5
to have to disconnect to shutdown sounds like a goofy isp to me.
you pay for broadband but they don't want to tie up bandwidth when you're not using the internet by staying connected.

i do broadband because i want it on all the time.

to disconnect seems to defeat the purpose of broadband but different strokes for different folks.
Senior Member with 359 posts.

Experience: A bit of tinkering here and there
04-Feb-2005, 02:58 AM #6
I agree, your paying for the connection.... if this is a big problem just pull the cable out.. tada no longer connected

04-Feb-2005, 06:57 PM #7
zmaster,tried that,even if i pull the cable out i still can't disconnect,thus pc still won't shut down,thus i have to switch it off manually=not good for the pc.
Senior Member with 562 posts.

04-Feb-2005, 08:06 PM #8
If you're connected via a router it usually says that the connection is still active. You can always try openning a browser to see if you're still online.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

04-Feb-2005, 10:43 PM #9
It sounds like you're running a program to connect to the internet. You have to close that program when you want to disconnect. Look in the system tray to see if there's an icon for it that you can right-click on. Did you call your broadband provider to ask how you should disconnect? Since you have to run a program to connect, there must be a way to close that program to disconnect. Unless someone else here has the same broadband provider and program, the best resource to resolve this issue would be your ISP.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!