Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Pc clock won't keep time...

(!)

Senior Member with 834 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Feb-2005, 04:43 AM #1
Pc clock won't keep time...
Hi all, I have this problem with my pc. It's running Xp Pro w/ 368Mb RAM and a 733Mghz Intell Celeron.
The problem is it doesn't keep the correct time. I've changed the battery on the motherboard but it still doesn't keep time. I mean it's goes off by years. Always back to the year 2000 and the month of January.
Does anyone have any ideas?
THanks so much,
Peter
Junior Member with 12 posts.

24-Feb-2005, 05:53 AM #2
You've probably tried this already, but changing regional settings in control panel and date and time settings making sure it's in the correct time zone
Member with 587 posts.

24-Feb-2005, 12:10 PM #3
Have you tried this?
You haven't told us much about what you have already done. Have you set your clock to synchronize with the internet clock? If not, go here for instructions to do that.
Senior Member with 118 posts.

Experience: GATEWAY TECH SUPPORT AGENT
24-Feb-2005, 02:43 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamal
Hi all, I have this problem with my pc. It's running Xp Pro w/ 368Mb RAM and a 733Mghz Intell Celeron.
The problem is it doesn't keep the correct time. I've changed the battery on the motherboard but it still doesn't keep time. I mean it's goes off by years. Always back to the year 2000 and the month of January.
Does anyone have any ideas?
THanks so much,
Peter

REPLACE YOUR CMOS BATTERY ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD.
You can either open your computer tower up to read the
number off of the battery [for instance CR 2402] and
bring to like Radio Shack and get 5 dollar replacement
battery.. or call Dell up to find out the part number on
that battery they may be nice enough to send you one.

25-Feb-2005, 04:40 AM #5
I've done all of what all of you suggested. That is replacing the battery, syncing the clock to internet time and checking the regional settings. The thing, when shut off for a day seems to always set back to Jan. of 2000. BTW, when trying to sync the clock, it won't sync; it freezes. I've also tried installing Atomic Clock as I have on my Win98 pc and it just freezes up on this one. This should be a no brainer, you'd think but I'm confounded by this.
Thanks so much folks! Any other ideas?
Peter
Senior Member with 874 posts.

25-Feb-2005, 04:59 AM #6
maybe you could check windows time service and make sure it is set to automatic
Member with 17,584 posts.

25-Feb-2005, 05:42 AM #7
If it is resetting with power off, then its a backup battery problem.

If the battery has been changed (and the new battery is actually OK - they can be faulty) and is correctly inserted, then there could be a motherboard problem preventing the backup battery from working.

25-Feb-2005, 12:55 PM #8
Hey past tense, I've done that already. You can also do it manually which I've done also.
Kiwiguy, you say a motherboard problem? What kind of a motherboard problem? By that do you mean I have to replace it or get ready to?
Thanks for the help and may God bless,
Peter
Senior Member with 1,156 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Feb-2005, 01:57 PM #9
Twice in the last three months my computer would go crazy along with the time, both times desktop clock was off in the years, ran my Avast anti-virus and it came up with a Trojan I put it in their chest and ran Spysweeper and it came up with some more problems, I also put those away for safe keeping, corrected the time and this fixed the problem. Two days ago had the same problem and fixed it using the same procedure. You probably are infected.
Member with 17,584 posts.

25-Feb-2005, 03:24 PM #10
Simple question, have you actually tested the voltage on the battery with a meter?
Is the battery in the right way around?
Eliminate the obvious perhaps.

Is there a reset jumper on the CMOS/BIOS and if so is it in the correct position?

If there is no software/hardware issues found, then there could be a motherboard fault that is preventing the backup battery from keeping the CMOS alive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!