Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need to Fdisk/format w/ cd rom for WinXP Pro ERROR CODE 7 When using Recovery Console

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

13-Mar-2005, 06:35 PM #1
Need to Fdisk/format w/ cd rom for WinXP Pro ERROR CODE 7 When using Recovery Console
I am trying to do a fdisk & format but I don't have access to a floppy drive (I am fixing a friend's laptop).
The computer is running on WinXP Pro and only has a CD Rom.
I have tried to go into Recovery Console as well as Win XP Pro Setup utilizing the Win XP Pro disk - I get the following errors:

Trying to use Recovery Console the error is:
File \CMDCONS\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Trying to use Windows Setup the error is:
File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

I have also tried to just do a fresh install using Win XP Cd but it will not finish loading....it goes to Preparing for install then shuts the computer down.

Any ideas??
Thanks,
Georgia
Senior Member with 741 posts.

13-Mar-2005, 06:50 PM #2
Here is some information on that error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318729/EN-US/
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
13-Mar-2005, 07:05 PM #3
Did you disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless? Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm

You will have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

wrs

Microsoft MCCA 2012
Member with 295 posts.

Experience: Still Learning
13-Mar-2005, 09:41 PM #4
Try other Window XP cd. This might help to solve the problem
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!