Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

boot failure-safe mode-keyboard stops responding before windows starts.

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

23-Mar-2005, 03:39 PM #1
boot failure-safe mode-keyboard stops responding before windows starts.
I just bought a new custom machine from Zuke.com, good service by the way. I got it built with motherboard, power supply, RAM and video card. I figured I would just install my old hard drive (Seagate Barraccuda 160GB) and be up and running. Upon boot up, I get this:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

The big problem here is that I cannot select any of the options because by this time, my keyboard has stopped responding. It works fine at first, lets me hit DEL and go into BIOS setup. But then once it gets past that stage, the keyboard stops responding altogether.

If I put my Windows XP cd in to boot from there to repair or reinstall windows xp, it will give me the message "booting from ATAPI CD" or something to that effect and then says "Press any key to boot from CD". Keyboard won't work here either, it goes to the windows safe mode select screen I pasted above and won't let me select any options.

the keyboard i am using is USB. I have tried it with a wiresless ps/2 and that also does not work. I would like to rule out a problem with the keyboards i am trying before going further but I have a significant hunch that they are not the source of the problem since they work initially.

PLEASE HELP!
Account Disabled with 2,355 posts.

Experience: Marine Engineering
23-Mar-2005, 05:12 PM #2
Better to try a hard-wired PS/2 Kbd and mouse.

I just had problems with my USB drivers not loading properly and had to use a hard-wired PS/2 mouse to overcome the problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!