Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do deleted Recycle Bin items take HDD space?

(!)

Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Apr-2005, 02:42 AM #1
Question Do deleted Recycle Bin items take HDD space?
Am I correct that deleted "Recycle Bin" files still remain unseen on the hard drive? If so, is there any way of removing the deleted "Recycle Bin" items without affecting anything else on the HDD?

My original and now #2 computer has a very small HDD (15 GB). I have cleaned out everthing but the OS and installed programs. I would like to remove the one GB of "My Docs" files I put into the "Recycle Bin" and then further deleted from there, if indeed they are still resident on the HDD. My intent is to hopefully increase performance of that machine, which also has a very slow processor and only 190 MB RAM. Right now the OS and programs occupy one-half of the HDD. I am running "XP Home" on that computer.

I will only use C #2 for reaching the Internet should my #1 computer "go down." (I would be lost without that daily exercise!) C #1 is fully backed up weekly to an external HDD.

Thanks for your patience with me. {redoak}
Senior Member with 161 posts.

Experience: Iliterate Computer
19-Apr-2005, 04:43 AM #2
When you put something in the "recycle bin" all windows does is hide the item from you and only allow you to see it via the waste bin. So it still counts towards how much space is being used on the hard drive. Once you delete items from the recycle bin they are no longer counted as used space on the hard drive. They are still there and sometimes recoverable but now the space is marked for Windows to reuse when it needs it.

Deleting items in the recycle bin should not effect anything else on your HDD.

If you want to delete something without it going in the recycle bin highlight the item and then hold down the shift key while pressing delete. Check the recycle bin and you won't see it. Beware that you can't recover an item if you do this.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Apr-2005, 07:00 AM #3
It appears that Windows will do automatically, if necessary, what I had in mind. Thanks for the reply. {redoak}
Member with 107 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Apr-2005, 08:47 AM #4
There is a paid way to rid your Recycle bin of deleted files for good which can't be recovered, that is with a program called Cyberscrub have a look here
http://www.cyberscrub.com/cs/home.php
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!