Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

wextract_cleanup0

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Apr-2005, 09:27 AM #1
wextract_cleanup0
I use Spy Sweeper for my spyware protection at home and work. I have Windows 2000 NT at the office. Lately when I recieve an update from Windows Spy Sweeper states that wextract_cleanup0 is detected and will run when windows starts. It states if you just installed a windows update, you should not remove the item. However, Spy Sweeper states that the assessment is unknown, product name not provided, company name not provided, copyright information is not provided.

The location is: rundll32.exe C:\WINNT\system32\advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 C:\DOCUME~1\mike\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\ Registry or Startup Folder: HKLM: Run Once

I go ahead and delete the item even though I did a Windows Update just to be safe. I do see in the entry that one if the dll files is advpack which I believe is an adware pagage but not sure. Has anyone experienced this or knows what this is? I also get the same intem installed on my pc at home using Windows XP Home. Any information would be helpful. I sent an email to Microsoft but have not gotten a reply.
Senior Member with 457 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Apr-2005, 09:59 AM #2
The "wextract_cleanup0" is a cleanup command used typically by Microsoft's IExpress/WExtract self-extracting executables. Up until recently, typical Windows Update packages utilized the WExtract library (and still do for certain things -- eg. MSN, WMP installations etc). When the SFX is run, it creates a temp setup folder, typically "IXP0000.tmp", which then gets deleted automatically after installation completes. The runonce command you've posted is the command used to delete this folder.

PS - AdvPack.dll is not malware or spyware, but an Internet Explorer file which contains commands for running "AdvancedINF" setup scripts. Nothing to worry about here.

26-Apr-2005, 10:27 AM #3
Thank you so much...I have been on the phone with Microsoft since I posted this message and spoke to 4 techs. No one at microsoft can tell me what this file is. While I was ont he phone with them, I receievd your reply to my message and I told the tech what you said. The tech told that what you said sounded right and if it is a file being installed with a windws update, then it is a safe file. He told me I should disable Spy Sweeper anytime I do an update or installation (but I will keep it running just to be safe). Thanks again, it seems you can shed some light with the techs at Microsoft that never heard of this file.

26-Apr-2005, 10:42 AM #4
You're welcome.

Btw, I've compiled numerous custom setup scripts using IExpress as well as advpack.dll. Being very familiar with it, I recognized right away what "wextract_cleanup0" is and what it does... Once again, there's nothing to be worried about! Spy Sweeper just giving you a "false alarm"...

26-Apr-2005, 10:53 AM #5
I thought it had something to do with the update and to cleanup temp files but it was the advpack that threw me and no assessment, copywright or company name. Microsoft just called me back and stated that it is their file and it is a bug in the update that there is no association with the company and copywright. I noticed a lot of people asked about the file when you do a search for the file on the internet.

26-Apr-2005, 11:08 AM #6
AdvPack.dll is installed with Windows, and included in most IExpress packages for its extended setup functions. You should already have one in the System32 folder; right-click to view file properties...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!