Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to delete [corrupt?] temporary internet file folders

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Einstein
08-May-2005, 02:04 AM #1
Unable to delete [corrupt?] temporary internet file folders
I am unable to delete [corrupt?] temporary internet file folders. The Error Message reads:

Error Deleting File or Folder --- Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

These file folders are totally empty and cannot be deleted, moved or renamed. My OS is WinXP/Pro.

Is there a way to get rid of them? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Richard ... rhsconsulting@comcast.net
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

08-May-2005, 02:09 AM #2
What is the containing folder (for example, C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files)?

Have you run chkdsk on the drive (Start > Run: chkdsk /f) and rebooted?
Member with 114 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-May-2005, 04:41 AM #3
re-start the machine in "Safe Mode".....then select "Run".....enter "%temp%".....select all...then delete....

It should work.....
Member with 44 posts.

08-May-2005, 01:32 PM #4
The safe mode suggestion unfortunately did not remove anything. These are leftover program temp files, which do not want to auto uninstall, but have to be uninstalled/deleted manually. The error message says ... it cannot read from the source file or disk.

These file folders are located at ... C:\Program Files\name of program\temp\name of file folders. The files are totally empty, cannot be moved (to another drive), or renamed. Could they be corrupt? What do I have to do to clean things up?

Last edited by Hujambo; 08-May-2005 at 04:41 PM..
Member with 163 posts.

08-May-2005, 02:16 PM #5
Try this!

Start-->RUn--> "cmd"
then type the following
cd\
cd(space) program files
cd(space) name of program
rd /s/q temp

see if that works
Member with 22,468 posts.

08-May-2005, 02:18 PM #6
Hujambo,

Have you tried running the chkdsk on the hard drive. Sometimes that can fix corrupted files.

You might try booting to a safe mode command prompt and try moving to the problem directory and deleting them that way.

Also, from the description, they are not corrupted Internet Temp files.
Member with 44 posts.

08-May-2005, 02:27 PM #7
I am not clear on how the command entry is to look. Could you please set it up for me. The way I had it must be wrong.

08-May-2005, 02:29 PM #8
You would change to the C:\Program Files\name of program\ directory
Then run:
rd /s /q temp
Computer Specs

09-May-2005, 12:35 AM #9
Use this program:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

You can specify what files or folders you want deleted and they will be removed on the next boot.

But be sure to try my earlier suggestion to run chkdsk on the drive in case the files are corrupted in some way that interferes with their deletion.
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-May-2005, 01:02 AM #10
You can try a windows 98 boot disk, you can make one with windows XP you just need a new floppy put it in, right click and when formatting say make startup disk.

Alternately you can try safe mode with command prompt with that nothing should be running. Also it may be that you have a virus running boot sector which you either need a very good anti-virus, reformat or a startup disk to remove it.

For trying to remove a virus (if you think you might have one) try stinger, it's fast and it usally does fairly well.

Jason
Member with 44 posts.

09-May-2005, 02:28 AM #11
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have pursued all of them and still can't delete the phantom file folders. When trying to delete the files, I still get the following message: "Cannot read the file from the source file or disk. The file is either locked or does not exist."

I have reason to believe the file folders no longer exist, however, they are still registered. Which means to me that the registry needs to be edited. Does anybody share my view and would like to lead me through this process?
Computer Specs

09-May-2005, 06:21 AM #12
Afraid I don't share your assessment. The presence of the files in the registry would not make them appear in explorer.

However, it is possible for a file to have a representation in the MFT and not exist. The files could still appear in explorer even though they did not exist.

It may be possible to delete them with NTFSDOS, if you have it.

Examine the file and folder names carefully. Be sure that there is not a space in the names at the beginning or end that you haven't noticed. Then, try deleting from a command prompt in Safe Mode.

How much space do these files occupy? If not much, you may have to live with them.

Last edited by Elvandil; 09-May-2005 at 09:28 AM..

09-May-2005, 09:08 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujambo
I have reason to believe the file folders no longer exist
This should be very simple to verify. When you view the directory in question, are the files there are aren't they.

If the program also left registry entries behind, which is not uncommon at all, and you want to delete them, then you would need to carefully run regedit and remove those manually.
Member with 44 posts.

09-May-2005, 01:47 PM #14
Mt 4 subdirectory files, which won't delete, exist in the directory under ... C:\Program Files\my program\temp\the 4 files in question. My program was successfully removed from Add/Remove Program; however, the program is still listed in the directory because of the 4 subdirectory files. All that is contained in the directory are the name of the program with the temp folder and the 4 files. With the exception of the above, the entire content of the program was deleted when it was removed.

I am comfortable going into the registry; however, I wouldn't know what and where to look for removing the left registry entries/keys. I have already checked the registry Software and Application entries but couldn't find any registry keys relating to my program.

I have zero experience with NTFSDOS.
Member with 44 posts.

09-May-2005, 01:56 PM #15
The 4 files in question are occupying a space between 120-136 key entries.
To me the names appear to be normal. Being file folders, no file folder extensions are listed. On top of that, the file folders are empty.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!