Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

trying to find ports

(!)

Member with 84 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-May-2005, 07:59 AM #1
Smile trying to find ports
Hi' Everyone,
I am new here so I hope someone can help me. I have windows XP Home now and when I had windows 98 I am pretty sure I used to be able to see the ports by clicking on the little dial up boxes (I have Broadband now), and I used to be able to see the ports that were open and I think the numbers. I have looked at the Firewall and I click on that and open up properties and see a list of what I assume are the ports some have ticks and some don't but why don't I see the numbers or TCP UDP I think that's what they are called. Sorry I am not very computer savvy as only had the other computer for a little while it was very old and so bought a new one. Also, I was trying to put some photos onto a disk and a message kept appearing saying "confirm stream loss file thumbs, extra information attached may be lost, do you want to continue?, click yes or skip. I just X out of it and the photos burned to disk okay.
thank you for any advice and sorry for the long post.
Josey.
Member with 2,980 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-May-2005, 10:10 AM #2
Why do want to see ports?? XP is very different from Win98. Very very different. As for your other problem, without more info on the software you are using, I can only guess that you are dragging or copying thumbnails of pics instead of the pics themselves. Thus XP is asking if you want the thumbnail also or you will lose it if you contiune.
Member with 84 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-May-2005, 05:35 PM #3
Smile can't find ports
Thank you for respondng, I coudn't find my post in the forum so don't know what I am doing wrong, I clicked on the link of your email, thank you for that. I want to find the ports because I can't find them and, in windows 98 I downloaded a program once that required me to open ports and it was easy to find them, so I am concerned that I may need to do that in the future, plus I just want to know why, plus I was reading something about port 25, I don't know what it is for but that's what started the search in the first place, I just like to know where everything is, I did a search on google but couldn't understand. I'm just trying to learn where everything is.
I buy puter magazines and do try but sometimes it's too technical. I haven't been using a computer for very long, only had win.98 for a few weeks.

With regard to the photos, I was showing my friend how to back up her photos as she didn't know how to do it. I at least knew how to do that. The photos were all thumbnails and I did it by using XP's burning engine e.g.,highlighlighting the photo's and in the pane at the left "copy to cd" and it goes to the hard drive. Then a message "there are files to be written to cd" and clicked on that and it seemed to work but that message about streaming loss has never happened to me when I did it on my computer. My friend has a laptop with XP Pro. I have Home not sure if that makes any difference. Maybe I should have changed the "view" .

I am going there this morning to help her install service pack2. I just know very basic things about computers but I can install things.

I will have to wait for an email as I can't find my posts.

Thank you for your patience.

josey.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!