Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: MISSING INF Files

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Jun-2005, 07:11 PM #1
Solved: MISSING INF Files
Hi I wonder if anyone has experienced the same problem of missing INF files, I am currently running Windows XP Home and each time I try to install a new bit of kit ( like an all in one printer) I get a window saying (USB INF needed)
Does anyone know what this is and how I can resolve the problem?
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
17-Jun-2005, 09:07 PM #2
I have about 9 different usb files in the c:\windows\INF folder, one of which is "usb.inf"

Open Folder Options > View, and make sure "show hidden files" is enabled. Then use Windows Explorer to navigate to c:\windows\INF and see what you have there. if it is just one file I can probably zip and upload it for you.

However, first do a full drive search for usb.inf -- this file should also be present in cab directories such as c:\I386

If you find it there but not in c:\windows\INF, copy it to the Windows\INF directory.

17-Jun-2005, 10:30 PM #3
Hi Rollin'Rog
Thanks for a quick reply, have completed your suggestions and have found nothing in the windows INF folder I can not find anything titled "USB.INF" Could I take you up on your offer to zip and upload this file for me? Thanks again
Montymorris
Computer Specs

18-Jun-2005, 12:06 AM #4
Absolutely nothing in the Windows\INF folder, or just not that particular file?

If abolutely zilch, you are looking at a reinstall, as this problem will crop up with just about every install or reinstall that uses default inf files.

Anyway, here she is, I hope it helps...
Attached Files
File Type: zip USB.zip (4.2 KB, 3236 views)

18-Jun-2005, 03:01 AM #5
Thanks for the Zip file, did another search as you suggested and I think your right I may have to have a complete reinstall?? unzipped your file but it only gave me setup information nothing I could load or copy into the c:\windows folder? That is of course assuming that I done it correctly and have not been an idiot. I am after all no IT expert?
Thanks again for all your help I very much appriciate it.
Montymorris
Computer Specs

18-Jun-2005, 12:36 PM #6
The usb.inf file is to be copied into the c:\windows\INF folder.

That is where it will be looked for by the installer which uses it to install other files and registry entries. You should not get a message that it is missing, but others may be gone if your INF folder is empty or otherwise incomplete.

18-Jun-2005, 08:05 PM #7
Hi Rollin' Rog
Well after four months of searching and not understanding this problem you were new what it was straight away. I copied the file into the INF folder and no longer got the missing message and my kit loaded first time.
Just really wanted to say thank you for being patient and for zipping the file for me I'm very grateful that you solved my problem.

MontyMorris
Computer Specs

19-Jun-2005, 12:51 AM #8
Hey Monty, I'm really glad to be of some help here, especially on a day when not much else is going smoothly

I'll mark the thread "Solved", something you can do in the future when appropriate by using the "thread tools" tab.

And of course you're most welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!