Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I have lost some dll files on XP

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

29-Jun-2005, 01:39 AM #1
I have lost some dll files on XP
Hi.....thinking I was being smart I downloaded a program that is suposed to clean up old dll files and archive them for you. When I did so I immediatly got a pop up saying that some dll files that are needed to run windows properly are missing. So I restored the dll files that were archived. They all restored but one. I tried everything and it wouldn't work *slamming head on desk*
I then found that what seems to be missing is the system restore. I can't get it to come up at all....blank, zilch nothing. When I click it....the hour glass pops up for like 2 secs. and then goes away. Then if I click "System Information" I get a pop uo that says "marscore dll. not found" and if I click "help and support" the same thing.
So after searching and trying to find ways to get these dll files back I found someone that says to run a "sfc /scannow" When I do that it says that some files are missing and that I need to restore them by putting in my Windows Service pack 1 cd. Well.....I don't have that. I only have the "reinstallation cd Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition". It came with my dell computer. I have no cd that says "Service Pack 1". I can download service pack 1 from MS but it did not help....I still get the pop up for the service pack cd to be out in the drive.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
~Serene
Member with 2,821 posts.

Experience: [Insert witty comment here]
29-Jun-2005, 01:57 AM #2
Have you tried just popping in the XP reinstallation CD to see if that works when it prompts you for a CD?

If that doesn't work, how about trying a Windows repair by booting from the Reinstallation CD?

29-Jun-2005, 11:43 AM #3
Yes I did try to put in the xp install disk and that didn't work. I will try the boot up to fix it. Thanks for the ideas....I will try anything at this point.
~Serene
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-Jun-2005, 11:46 AM #4
Try going to Start > Run and typing:

sfc /scannow

29-Jun-2005, 11:50 AM #5
I did that and it ran the test but then said I was missing files and to insert the Windows Xp Service Pack 1 cd.....but I didn't get a windows xp service pack 1 cd when I bought the computer. I only have the reinstalling cd and if I put that in when it asks for the SP1 it says it is the wrong cd.

I will keep trying any suggestions though...I am getting desperate.
~Serene
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-Jun-2005, 11:51 AM #6
What dll is missing?

29-Jun-2005, 12:16 PM #7
I know that one is called the marscore dll. When I click the system information a pop up says "Marscore dll not found". I have found the marscore dll on another site and tried to install it....but it still says the same thing. I can't ever get my system restore to load up.

I booted up using the windows reistall cd and went to repair.....from there it asked me for a "authorization" password.....I am sorry but I am not sure what that is. I tried a couple of the passwords that I use but they were all wrong. Does anyone know where I can find this password/code?

aarrggg....I sure wish I was better at this repair stuff. I think it could help if I could get past that "auth. password" thing
Member with 2,821 posts.

Experience: [Insert witty comment here]
29-Jun-2005, 02:59 PM #8
If it's asking for the admin password, I've heard that this site has a program that's good for clearing/changing that password:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

You can also go to http://www.dll-files.com/ to download any replacement DLLs. Download and copy whatever is missing to C:\windows\system32

If it still doesn't work, you can try going to Start -> Run -> cmd
At the command prompt type "regsvr32 [DLL File name]" without the quotes, where the downloaded DLL replaces [DLL File name].
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!