Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

stop 0x00000050 blue screen

(!)

Member with 758 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jun-2005, 05:55 AM #1
stop 0x00000050 blue screen
It is telling me it a graphics device driver. My video card is updated, so I was wondering what else a graphic driver would relate to. I can't get my symbols to work so I am unable to use the debugging program by windows. can anyone help?
Senior Member with 1,421 posts.

Experience: fast learner
30-Jun-2005, 08:09 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique01
It is telling me it a graphics device driver. My video card is updated, so I was wondering what else a graphic driver would relate to. I can't get my symbols to work so I am unable to use the debugging program by windows. can anyone help?
Have you tried reinstalling the driver? Check the card to make sure it is properly seated. That would be my first step...doc
Member with 758 posts.

01-Jul-2005, 01:54 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by physician
Have you tried reinstalling the driver? Check the card to make sure it is properly seated. That would be my first step...doc

have tried, will try again. ya never know i guess
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
01-Jul-2005, 09:33 AM #4
What is telling you it is a Graphics driver? Is a driver listed in the STOP error?

When does the error occur?
And what is the full error: parameters and driver?

When did the problem start, and did you try a System Restore?
Member with 758 posts.

04-Jul-2005, 10:19 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
What is telling you it is a Graphics driver? Is a driver listed in the STOP error?

When does the error occur?
And what is the full error: parameters and driver?

When did the problem start, and did you try a System Restore?
no driver was listed. I wish it did. The error occurs usually when pages are loading, but sometimes it is random. I haven't received it in awhile since I haven't been online, but when I get it again I will post the parameters. I haven't tried a system restore, but I tried a clean install of xp again a few days, and I still got it then.
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2005, 12:00 AM #6
You won't have System Restore points if you did either a reinstall or a clean install.

And if you did a clean install and still got stop errors like that, particularly with no driver mentioned, it would make hardware suspect -- particularly ram.

However if you did not enable the firewall before going online after the install, well you could have gotten infected even before installing updates or antivirus programs.

Have a gander at some of the "050" "Page fault in Non-Paged area" articles here:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Try testing your ram using one or both of the following applications:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.memtest86.com/
Member with 758 posts.

05-Jul-2005, 01:20 AM #7
here's the parameters for the 50 error:

BCCode: 10000050 BCP1: B34496AC BCP2: 00000000 BCP3: 804EED80 BCP4: 00000000

but this time it only said "device driver"

I am also getting a stop 0x1000000A that also says "device driver". Here are the parameters:
Error Code 1000000A Parameter 1 a383746c Parameter 2 00000002 Parameter 3 00000000 Parameter 4 804eed80

It will on occasion say "graphic device driver", but not all the time. Do I only need to run those memory tests once? I bought a new stick, a 256mb sometime back, but took it back when I kept getting the errors with the new stick as well. I put my 512mb back in. I will run the tests again though. I think it's hardware though too.

Last edited by angelique01; 05-Jul-2005 at 01:47 AM..
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2005, 08:45 AM #8
Let's see if we can use Windows "verifier.exe" to catch the culprit.

Before using it I want you to confirm that you can start to and restart from Safe Mode. Not everyone can do this, as some folks with video driver problems hang on a Safe Mode boot.

Instructions on how to boot in Safe Mode here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01052409420406

There is a detailed article on verifier.exe here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;244617

However the short and skinny of it is, you simply go to start or open a cmd interface and enter:

verifier

... and accept its default options. On reboot it will run, and run on every reboot until disabled by the command:

verifier /reset

If you get a STOP error you will not be able to boot in Normal mode until you reset verifier, so you MUST be able to do a Safe Mode boot.

If you do get a STOP error, look for the driver mentioned. The actual error parameters here will a STOP message for verifier, and will not shed too much lite, but you can copy it anyway.

AND although it won't stress test any drivers, like "verifier" you can also see what "unsigned" drivers you have on the system.

To do this go to start and run

sigverif

Unsigned drivers aren't necessarily bad, but in this situation they might bear some extra scrutiny.

Also, if neither the ram tests nor verifier.exe turns up anything, post a HijackThis Scanlog so we can rule out any obvious malware issues:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe
Member with 758 posts.

05-Jul-2005, 10:38 PM #9
Ok, now I have the verifier running. No probs booting into safe mode . I am not able to do a memory test at the moment because my floppy drive won't read any of my floppy's for some reason. I also already have memtest86 on one of them, and the darn thing refuses to read any floppy's. I also followed the instructions for the windows memory tester, to burn it to cd-rom with no luck. *sigh* I'll figure out something.

Also there were a ton, ton probably not even the word, lol, of unsigned drivers
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2005, 10:47 PM #10
What happened when you tried to burn it? I used Roxio/Easy CD to do mine. I think it automatically associates itself to .iso files and does the right thing by it. You may need to "read the manual" for your burning software.

I have problems with floppies as well on my Dell -- finicky floppy drive; but if I try different branded floppies, I usually get some to work.

By the way once you complete a boot with "verifier.exe", it's done its test. You can still leave it enabled for future boots if you want.

Sigverif does take a bit to complete, however, and is run from within Windows.
Member with 758 posts.

06-Jul-2005, 12:38 AM #11
Quote:
What happened when you tried to burn it? I used Roxio/Easy CD to do mine. I think it automatically associates itself to .iso files and does the right thing by it. You may need to "read the manual" for your burning software.

I have problems with floppies as well on my Dell -- finicky floppy drive; but if I try different branded floppies, I usually get some to work.

By the way once you complete a boot with "verifier.exe", it's done its test. You can still leave it enabled for future boots if you want.

I got the memory test to work. I tried a different burning prgram. Turns out the program wasn't burning it right. I had it pass through all 8 tests 1x, I didn't get one error. But, when I rebooted my processor failed to be detected on boot up. Ya know how it usually comes up above the drives, well it didn't. I'd also like to add this has happened quite a few times, which makes me kinda wonder. But I was wondering if there is something strange about that in your opinion.

Also for the verifier, do I need to enable it and boot back up in normal mode, or back into safe mode? I booted back into normal after I did it.

Quote:
yeah that's where I ran it from and saw all the drivers.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2005, 12:56 AM #12
It's getting near my bed time so forgive if I'm asking something that should be obvious -- but I'm not sure what you are referring to here:

Quote:
my processor failed to be detected on boot up
You mean your CPU??

Perhaps you have enabled something I haven't had a look at -- are you watching a detection list in the BIOS -- I see this on my Win98 system but not XP.

If you don't want "verifier" to run on every bootup (it's silent unless it detects a problem), just run: verifier /reset from Start > Run.
Member with 758 posts.

06-Jul-2005, 01:28 AM #13
Quote:
It's getting near my bed time so forgive if I'm asking something that should be obvious -- but I'm not sure what you are referring to here:

You mean your CPU??

Perhaps you have enabled something I haven't had a look at -- are you watching a detection list in the BIOS -- I see this on my Win98 system but not XP.

If you don't want "verifier" to run on every bootup (it's silent unless it detects a problem), just run: verifier /reset from Start > Run.

Quote:
are you watching a detection list in the BIOS
that may be it. It's just a screen that boots up that shows my disk drives and AMD Athlon XP. The Athlon XP is the thing that is not detecting itself sometimes. Is that also called a CPU? sorry I'm a little unfamiliar with the name of things, although I'm pretty sure it's called a processor, lol.

Also at the top it says BIOSTAR, so yeah it could be something in the bios.

Last edited by angelique01; 06-Jul-2005 at 01:41 AM..
Member with 758 posts.

06-Jul-2005, 03:21 AM #14
I got a blue screen again, 0x00000050 with this driver: win32k.sys

it said win32k.sys - address BF822E99 base at BF800000, Datestamp 41107F7A
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2005, 09:40 AM #15
The term "cpu" stands for "central processor unit" and in your case that would be the AMD processor; Athlon would be the general chipset model. If the "cpu" truly isn't detected I don't see how Windows could boot at all.

I'm afraid the win32k.sys driver doesn't narrow things much as you can see from this array of similar hits in Google > groups.

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...r=&sa=N&tab=wg

It may be a video driver problem, or other installed software, such as antivirus programs.

If it is occuring primarily or exclusively online, antivirus or firewall programs may be suspect. Or any type of networking application.

Post a HijackThis Scanlog:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!