Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to increase available physical memory?

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jul-2005, 01:17 PM #1
How to increase available physical memory?
My Dell 8200 computer I bought 3 years ago is decidedly slower now. I have Windows XP Home running and 256MB of memory. The system info says that there is only 56MB of available physical memory. Is this normal? I have priced a memory upgrade, and it's over $500 to upgrade to 512MB, so I'd rather not do that now. Is there anyway to increase the available physical memory?

Btw, the slowness is not a result of any viruses or spyware. I have more anti-spyware stuff than I probably need. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Senior Member with 896 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jul-2005, 01:57 PM #2
press the windows and pause/break(right above the page up key)

it should tell you how much memory is installed.

you can also try going start> run, then type in dxdiag then press enter this will tell you your pc specs
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

09-Jul-2005, 02:20 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesguy
My Dell 8200 computer I bought 3 years ago is decidedly slower now. I have Windows XP Home running and 256MB of memory. The system info says that there is only 56MB of available physical memory. Is this normal? I have priced a memory upgrade, and it's over $500 to upgrade to 512MB, so I'd rather not do that now. Is there anyway to increase the available physical memory?

Btw, the slowness is not a result of any viruses or spyware. I have more anti-spyware stuff than I probably need. Thanks in advance for any advice.
how often do you do disk cleanup/defrag?

all of the garbage that you install for protection, reg cleaning, speed up internet connection, etc., eat up memory.
i bet a lot is loading on startup.

i use nav, spybot 1.3 and that's it. spybot says congratulations, nothing found, norton av picks up what my isp/roadrunner misses.

you state that you have more antispyware stuff thanyou need and it all uses the 256 memory.

$500 to upgrade to 512, rediculous. don't you have a costco around.

any shop that is charging $500 to upgrade from 256 to 512 should be avoided.

09-Jul-2005, 02:53 PM #4
Thanks for the advice. I regularly do disk cleanup, and my hard drive doesn't need to be defragged. You are probably right about all the protection garbage eating up some of the memory. The reason the memory costs so much is because it's RDRAM memory, which I guess is more expensive than the normal SDRAM. And it's not readily available, at least I don't think it is.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,243 posts.

09-Jul-2005, 03:46 PM #5
What is the model name of your Dell 8200, and is that the correct model number?

Assuming that it's a Dell Dimension 8200, the Kingston site states that it uses RDRAM modules. That type of RAM has unfortunately been more expensive to buy than the other types, and its getting harder to find because its no longer in favor among computer users.

----------------------------------------------------------------

There are many ways to speed up Windows XP, such as:

1. Reducing the graphic "eye candy".

2. Reducing the number of programs running in the background.

3. Adding more RAM(At least 512 MB is best).

4. Cleaning out the buildup of spyware and temp files.

----------------------------------------------------------------

09-Jul-2005, 06:15 PM #6
Yes, unfortunately it is a Dell Dimension 8200 and it does use RDRAM. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and spend the extra bucks to upgrade the memory. Thanks for everyone's input!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

09-Jul-2005, 09:12 PM #7
Well, it is expensive, but not $500. Here's a place with the memory for $229. http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?...mory_id=-36317

10-Jul-2005, 02:12 AM #8
John, thanks...you just saved me a bundle!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!