Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Right-click on desktop caused Windows explorer error

(!)

Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Above intermediate
26-Jul-2005, 11:46 PM #1
Solved: Right-click on desktop caused Windows explorer error
Everytime I right click the desktop I get a message like "Windows Explorer has caused an error and needs to close". Anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited by rockfist45; 27-Jul-2005 at 01:09 AM..
Senior Member with 983 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jul-2005, 12:02 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfist45
Everytime I right click the desktop I get a message like "Windows Explorer has caused an error and needs to close". Anyone know how to fix this?

The error notice contains information that you can copy to the clipboard.

Paste it here.

start/settings/ control panel/ administrative tools/event viewer

After that you have "application", "security" and "system" selections. What you need is probably listed under the red circle with the X in it either in "application" or "system."
Member with 42 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 01:12 AM #3
Member with 208 posts.

Experience: Einstein
27-Jul-2005, 02:38 AM #4
Um Okay.

That is pretty useless it just confirms Explorer caused crashed.

I am assuming this happens everytime you right click, so let's see if we can fix it.

What would be better would be to scan for and remove Malware with Ad-Aware and or SpyBot Search and Destory.

Then post a log with HijackThis. We will hopefully find something malicious causing explorer to crash.

-Jbirk
Member with 42 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 02:42 AM #5
Quote:
thats the farthest picture I could take, it just shows another error and freezes up.
Member with 208 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 02:47 AM #6
Right, and that is pointless to us. It does not tell us what caused explorer to crash.

What we need you to do is run a program like Ad-Aware
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Do the updates then do a full scan and remove all the Spyware/Adware it detects.

Then Reboot.

If your problem still persists, you can get HiJackThis and post a log.

and/or

SFC /Scannow to ensure the system files for windows is okay

-Jbirk
Member with 42 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 03:26 AM #7
I have Webroot Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, and Microsoft Antispyware.
Do I still have to get Ad-Aware? Im running a scan right now with Spyware Doctor, found 386 infections so far at 95% done... After that I'll try what you said.
Member with 208 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 03:32 AM #8
No, you don't need to get Ad-Aware if you don't want too.

I should probalby mention that you do not want to have the protection of all three turned on. Like Anti Virus software, sometimes problems happen if you have multiple programs applying the same protection. You should use protection, but do not have two programs protect the exact same things...

Of the three you mentioned, you should be able to get mostly cleaned up in an automated way.

After, I need you to reboot then get HiJackThis
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Run it and post a log.

I will read the log and see if I spot anything out of the ordinary.

I am in hopes that after we get you cleaned up Explorer will be stable. If not, we can have you do a System File Check, check your event logs, and possibly an in-place-upgrade (re-install)
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 03:54 AM #9
Are you able to click where it says "Click Here" on the error dialog to get some further information?

Have you recently installed anything that may have added an entry to the desktop context menu, like a new NVidia driver or anything?
Member with 42 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 03:59 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil
Are you able to click where it says "Click Here" on the error dialog to get some further information?

Have you recently installed anything that may have added an entry to the desktop context menu, like a new NVidia driver or anything?
Actually I did a full recovery a while back and I had to have CompUSA install my NVidia graphics card. I didnt have the problem before they installed the graphics card. And I tried to get a snapshot of the message that pops up when I click "Click Here" but it froze.
Member with 208 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 04:11 AM #11
Hum.

*Wonders to self is video card properly seated...

*Wonders if correct video card driver is installed...

Well, the best thing to do might be to get the latest NVidia drivers and see if the problem goes away. If you still have your old driver around you can uninstall it; however, it really shouldn't cause you any problem.

In the future, you may wish to do the video card replacements/upgrades yourself, BTW.

It really is as easy as working with Legos. You turn the computer off, remove one card, and plug in another... and save the money of paying CompUSA to pay a tech to do it.

-Jbirk
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2005, 04:26 AM #12
Quote:
Actually I did a full recovery a while back and I had to have CompUSA install my NVidia graphics card. I didnt have the problem before they installed the graphics card. And I tried to get a snapshot of the message that pops up when I click "Click Here" but it froze.
The reason I mentioned it is that I have a vague memory of a problem with a context menu entry that NVidia drivers installed in the desktop menu. But have been unable to find it, or the fix.

This thing will allow you to enable/disable NVidia (and other) context menu entries, but it would be trial and error.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

This small app will extract to a folder on your desktop and restore the default desktop context entries (if it does not run, click the vbs file in the cleandesktop folder):

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/cleandesktop.exe

Last edited by Elvandil; 27-Jul-2005 at 04:54 AM..
Member with 42 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 04:51 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil
The reason I mentioned it is that I have a vague memory of a problem with a context menu entry that NVidia drivers installed in the desktop menu. But have been unable to find it, or the fix.

This thing will allow you to enable/disable NVidia (and other) context menu entries, but it would be trial and error.

http://freehost14.websamba.com/nirso...s/shexview.zip

This small app will extract to a folder on your desktop and restore the default desktop context entries (if it does not run, click the vbs file in the cleandesktop folder):

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/cleandesktop.exe
the first link, I downloaded and it says its a damaged file.
the second link, set the screen white and still have the right-click problem
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2005, 04:59 AM #14
Try clicking the first link and on that page right-click the download link. "Save Target As..." is a more reliable download method.

The second file should have shut down explorer and restarted it. It will not help the problem if the menu was changed by a dll, but the first program will allow you to disable any type of entry.
Member with 42 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 05:20 AM #15
I also get a error that is the same as the pic above except for its for DrWatson Postmortem Debugger.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!