Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why do I lose 1GB of free space after each System Restore that I do?

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Aug-2005, 12:36 AM #1
Why do I lose 1GB of free space after each System Restore that I do?
hi everyone. i'm new here and i'm not much of a computer expert at all, so i need some expert help. here is my problem:

i have windows xp with service pack 2. i've done about 5 system restores in the past 2 days. the reason why was i installed a lot of programs and stuff since i have free time now and somethings got messed up and all so i've had to do multiple system restores to a couple of days earlier this week.

my problem is, after each restore was completed, i lost 1GB of free space on my C drive. by the 5th restore, i was up to losing 2GB of free space on my C drive. i know this because i went to My Computer looked at the amount of free disc space on my C drive. after doing the 5 or so restores, i've lost a total of about 6 GB of my C drive's free space. why is that happening? how do i get that space back?

now i'm afraid to ever do a restore again because i lose space at what is becoming an exponential rate. please help. thanks.

21-Aug-2005, 01:21 AM #2
update to my problem:

i just posted my problem a few min ago in the post above, but after that i went to install a program that i just downloaded today (the new version of AIM is what it is by the way) and during the installation it said that i had 118357216 k of free space on my C drive. now to my understanding (i'm not a computer expert) that rounds to 118 GB of free space, which is the amount of free space that i had on my C drive before this whole mess. however, in My Computer when i click on the C drive, it says that i have 112 GB of free space on the C drive. that's a 6 GB difference, and that's the 6 GB that went "missing" from my computer after the multiple system restores that i have done in the last day or two.

so, in short, the computer still has 118 GB of free space (which is what the C drive when clicked on in My Computer said before this whole mess), but for some reason after the 5 system restores, when i click on the C drive in My Computer it shows that i have 112 GB of free space. things are not in sync or something. how do i fix this? thanks.
Member with 156 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Aug-2005, 02:10 AM #3
Have you tried doing a Defrag?

Duncan Pollock
CompTia A+ Certified
Currently working on Network+

21-Aug-2005, 02:35 AM #4
no, i haven't tried a defrag yet. i'm nervous about doing things like that without knowing if i should or not. i'd hate to make things worse. but it sounds like it's a good idea to try if you suggest it. thanks. any other help would be appreciated as well.
Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Aug-2005, 09:14 AM #5
Yes run defrag and scandisk.. these are things you can do anytime and won't hurt a thing
Senior Member with 1,062 posts.

21-Aug-2005, 09:31 AM #6
You can remove all but your last restore point.
Start, programs, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup.
Select the C drive and click OK
A new window will open, click on More Options. You can then click on System Restore cleanup.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do I lose 1GB of free space after each System Restore that I do?-capture.jpg  
Senior Member with 158 posts.

Experience: Enough to help out
21-Aug-2005, 09:42 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite
hi everyone. i'm new here and i'm not much of a computer expert at all, so i need some expert help. here is my problem:

i have windows xp with service pack 2. i've done about 5 system restores in the past 2 days. the reason why was i installed a lot of programs and stuff since i have free time now and somethings got messed up and all so i've had to do multiple system restores to a couple of days earlier this week.

my problem is, after each restore was completed, i lost 1GB of free space on my C drive. by the 5th restore, i was up to losing 2GB of free space on my C drive. i know this because i went to My Computer looked at the amount of free disc space on my C drive. after doing the 5 or so restores, i've lost a total of about 6 GB of my C drive's free space. why is that happening? how do i get that space back?

now i'm afraid to ever do a restore again because i lose space a

t what is becoming an exponential rate. please help. thanks.
This is normal, if you buy a 40 GB hard drive you will never see 40 but only 38, I never really went out of my way to learn more about this other then the hard drive has something to do with virtual memory and maybe it's set a side for a reason.

This is always the case when I install a new hard drive 160 GB it only reads 158/159 and not the full 160 so it's not just you. It would be better if they said on the hard drive 162 and just give it that one or two that is only lose or taken to make up for it.

21-Aug-2005, 03:31 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kath100
You can remove all but your last restore point.
Start, programs, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup.
Select the C drive and click OK
A new window will open, click on More Options. You can then click on System Restore cleanup.
thanks! i think that might be it. although i did check and a defrag is recommended by the analyzation that i ran, i think it is really a problem with how system restore restored things. maybe it creates backup files or duplicate files after each restore and that causes the disc space to decrease when the restore is done.

one thing to note is that i never undid a restore point when i realized that things weren't back to the way that i wanted after that particular restore. i just picked another restore point and restored. was that bad? is that what caused this problem? was i supposed to undo the restore then pick another restore point to restore to?

but i have a question about removing all but my last restore point. does that mean that it would just remove all the restore points that have been created for the last few months (windows desn't keep them for more than 90 days) except for the one from, say today (which is the most recent one)? or does it mean that it will undo all of the system restores that i have done except for the last one that i did? thanks.

21-Aug-2005, 03:57 PM #9
It will delete the restore points, not undo them. Your computer will stay as it is now and only the last restore point will be available on the calendar.
Senior Member with 158 posts.

Experience: Enough to help out
21-Aug-2005, 04:06 PM #10
I miss understood this question for sure

21-Aug-2005, 04:13 PM #11
You can also allocate how much disc space you allocate for the system restore.
Go to Control Panel, Performance & Maintenance, System Properties, System Restore and finally Settings.
Adjust the slider. You will have less space for system restore and more free space
Attached Thumbnails
Why do I lose 1GB of free space after each System Restore that I do?-capture.jpg  

21-Aug-2005, 09:54 PM #12
thanks kath100 for the info. that clears that up. and don't worry about it TechnutJay. thanks for trying to help anyway.

but just a simple question. i know, i'm full of them but i'm a newbie to this stuff. i'm learning slowly. anyway, my question is could the missing space be because the space is being used as backups so that i can undo the restores if needed?
Senior Member with 286 posts.

Experience: Microsoft MVP Shell/User
22-Aug-2005, 02:28 PM #13
Sometimes restore points can get rather large. I would suggest that stop System Restore from monitoring any drives/partitions other that the one Windows is installed on.

Disable a monitored drive
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html

Next, once the system is running stable and you have tested all the newly installed programs to make sure they donít cause problem, run Disk Clean-up and remove all but the latest restore points.

Using System Restore & Disk Cleanup
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskclean.html

Then adjust the amount of disk space System Restore uses to store restore points.

Keeping System Restore Healthy
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html#AdjustDiskSpace
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!