Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Desktop shortcuts won't work.

(!)

needafix has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 983 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Sep-2005, 09:12 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: Desktop shortcuts won't work.
Hi, I'm back. I got moved and settled in but this computer won't allow new shortcuts that I create on the desktop to function. I just get an empty IE window with nothing there and source code is empty too so it's not getting out though the IE shortcut to yahoo does function properly but that is also the home page for this puter.

Got DSl hooked up too so I haven't figured if that may have some influence on this issue. I called them, they know nothing about it so in the mean time I'm saving addies in notepad.

Anyone?
Senior Member with 159 posts.

07-Sep-2005, 09:31 AM #2
Try setting the pages as favorites rather than trying to create shortcuts on the desktop for the sites. This will help keep your desktop from becoming cluttered as well.

To do this once you are on the site you wish to save, click the favorites menu in internet explorer, and select add to favorites.

Internet Explorer>Favorites>Add to Favorites

Then once you open favorites in Internet Explorer, you will have that site listed there, and can access it by clicking it.

07-Sep-2005, 10:28 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leareth
Try setting the pages as favorites rather than trying to create shortcuts on the desktop for the sites. This will help keep your desktop from becoming cluttered as well.

To do this once you are on the site you wish to save, click the favorites menu in internet explorer, and select add to favorites.

Internet Explorer>Favorites>Add to Favorites

Then once you open favorites in Internet Explorer, you will have that site listed there, and can access it by clicking it.
I never was one to use that favorites function. I prefer a minimum click factor possible. I would rather get back to my normal function of desktop shortcuts (never had a problem with it before) of just clicking my desktop shortcuts and going to my sites.

IE allows for this but even when I right click on the site and windows creates a shortcut for that site on my desktop I still get the same results so something is going funky that won't allow these shortcuts to work regardless of whether windows creates them or whether I manually create them.

07-Sep-2005, 12:01 PM #4
Im not sure. If it worked before and you are doing the same process...
Run a scan for adware.
Or possibly you are skipping/forgetting something.
Personally I would open the desired site, and size the window so that the desktop is visible behind it, and right-click, and drag the address from the address bar onto the desktop and select create shortcut and then name it appropriately.

07-Sep-2005, 02:00 PM #5
Quote:
Im not sure. If it worked before and you are doing the same process...
Run a scan for adware.
Or possibly you are skipping/forgetting something.
Personally I would open the desired site, and size the window so that the desktop is visible behind it, and right-click, and drag the address from the address bar onto the desktop and select create shortcut and then name it appropriately.

I get the same results by dragging the addy. Something with Windows is not allowing these shortcuts to work properly.

07-Sep-2005, 02:33 PM #6
Then I would suggest using the favorites. It is just as easy as your shortcuts, and less work than the Notepad addy save.

07-Sep-2005, 03:50 PM #7
Quote:
Then I would suggest using the favorites. It is just as easy as your shortcuts, and less work than the Notepad addy save.

Yeah, the favorites is less of a click factor than the notepad. 7 clicks for notepad and 2 for a selection from faves.

Still this has me bugged. I'm good with windows and it always seems that the simplest things create the most smoke.
Senior Member with 2,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Sep-2005, 06:23 PM #8
Open IE and then drag and drop a shortcut on IE.

07-Sep-2005, 06:35 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5532g
Open IE and then drag and drop a shortcut on IE.

Dragging the useless IE desktop shortcut into IE works fine so still a mystery why it won't function on its own.

08-Sep-2005, 02:47 AM #10
If you're using XP, open a command prompt by clicking start > run > type cmd and click ok. In the command prompt type assoc.URL=InternetShortcut and press enter.

08-Sep-2005, 12:57 PM #11
Quote:
If you're using XP, open a command prompt by clicking start > run > type cmd and click ok. In the command prompt type assoc.URL=InternetShortcut and press enter.

I didn't have any success with that either.

I was reading somewhere a long time ago that if Mozilla is uninstalled (this thing had Mozilla at one time) it creates a situation that won't allow desktop shortcuts to function anymore.

This isn't my computer and the owner doesn't really know a lot about computers so there is no telling what gummed up the works.

08-Sep-2005, 07:46 PM #12
Let's give this a try. Start > run > type REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL and click ok.

Then in IE, tools > internet options > programs tab > click the reset web settings button > press yes > and click ok.

If it still doesn't want to work, I suggest you give this a go...IEFix Utility

09-Sep-2005, 09:10 AM #13
Quote:
Let's give this a try. Start > run > type REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL and click ok.

Then in IE, tools > internet options > programs tab > click the reset web settings button > press yes > and click ok.

If it still doesn't want to work, I suggest you give this a go...IEFix Utility

Ah ha, REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL fixed it! There was no need to reset the web settings.

Solved! Thanks!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!