Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: ADD/REMOVE Programs missing

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Sep-2005, 11:58 PM #1
Solved: ADD/REMOVE Programs missing
I wanted to remove some programs from my computer installed by my kids via the net. When I went to control panel the Add/Remove icon was missing. I opened run and typed in wizapp.cpl and no program was found. I cannot add/remove programs. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

roger
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
13-Sep-2005, 12:28 AM #2
Try appwiz.cpl

If nothing, or file not found, search for it. If not found, use the one in the attachment and put it in your System32 directory (Windows XP).

You could also use an Add/Remove alternative:MyUninstaller
Attached Files
File Type: zip appwiz.zip (218.8 KB, 556 views)
needafix has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 983 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Sep-2005, 12:47 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmallory
I wanted to remove some programs from my computer installed by my kids via the net. When I went to control panel the Add/Remove icon was missing. I opened run and typed in wizapp.cpl and no program was found. I cannot add/remove programs. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

roger
Is your user account on that computer as an Administrator? If not then just about anything can be made inaccessible by the Administrator so that other users can't use that function.

If you know the names of those unwanted programs you can search for them on your hard drive and delete them in the event that you are the Administrator and mysteriously your add/Remove icon is missing from the Control Panel.

Usually installed programs are accessible by clicking the "My Computer" icon on your destop and then click "C:" and then click on the "Program Files" folder.

You will see a bunch of folders so open the one that has the name of the unwanted program and see if there might be an uninst.exe in that folder and click on uninst.exe and it will remove the program. If not then just highlight the contents of that folder that has the name of the unwanted program and delete them all and close that empty window and then delete the folder that has the name of the unwanted program, but, read further.....

Be careful though, this is only for experienced users because some programs make use of windows files and they are called "shared files" so dumping some of those shared files in some instances, CAN cause problems so if you aren't sure, don't do it.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Sep-2005, 07:30 PM #4
I searched for appwiz.cpl a the c drive and found it in the sr2 folder. I copied it into the win system32 folder and lo and behold, the add/remove icon reappeared in my control panel and all the installed programs were there! I am greatly obliged! Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
14-Sep-2005, 12:39 AM #5
Good work, Thanks for letting us know.

You can mark the thread "solved" using the Thread Tools above.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!