Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP can't boot into Safe Mode with F8

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Sep-2005, 06:54 PM #1
Question XP can't boot into Safe Mode with F8
I get the Blue Screen after the Windows XP Welcome screen. I need to restart into Safe Mode, but it won't when holding down F8.
I can get into BIOS by hitting the DEL key during restart, but I wouldn't know what changes to make in BIOS to make my keyboard take the F8 command during the next restart.
I've also tried hitting F2 but nothing. Also control, alt,delete during startup but it still won't take me to safe mode.

Anyone care to give direction on changes in BIOS as this seems to be the only place to make any semblance of correction unless someone knows another way to get into SAFE MODE.
It seems to me there is a need to change the screen resolution once I get into safe mode.
Member with 49,014 posts.

26-Sep-2005, 07:13 PM #2
You don't hold down F8 you tap it every second or less

What blue screen - details of the message

Screen resolution is not normal in safe mode - it is minimal
Member with 1,318 posts.

26-Sep-2005, 07:13 PM #3
try F7...is it a Packard Bell you're using ?

26-Sep-2005, 07:58 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaton
I get the Blue Screen after the Windows XP Welcome screen. I need to restart into Safe Mode, but it won't when holding down F8.
I can get into BIOS by hitting the DEL key during restart, but I wouldn't know what changes to make in BIOS to make my keyboard take the F8 command during the next restart.
I've also tried hitting F2 but nothing. Also control, alt,delete during startup but it still won't take me to safe mode.

Anyone care to give direction on changes in BIOS as this seems to be the only place to make any semblance of correction unless someone knows another way to get into SAFE MODE.
It seems to me there is a need to change the screen resolution once I get into safe mode.
Member with 403 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Sep-2005, 08:02 PM #5
Actually, if you go to msconfig ( click Start, Run, and then type in msconfig and hit Enter) the system configuration utility box comes up.

You should see several tabs across the top. One of them, when selected, has, in the middle of the page, a box you can check that says "Safe Boot". . check that box, and then click Apply and Ok and it will prompt you to restart the computer. .

do this, and then it will boot up in Safe Mode. .

to change it back so that it no longer boots up in Safe Mode (when you have done what you wanted to do in Safe Mode) you have to go back into this same box to uncheck that box or it will continue to boot in Safe Mode.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

26-Sep-2005, 08:06 PM #6
I tied tapping the F2 and F8 neither work. It is a generic brand, 933Mhz, 64MB of RAM.
Again this happens immediately after the Welcome screen. A Blank Blue Screen. The cursur moves, so it appears the settings are set to high to allow RAM to show the desktop. There is a tone on the speakers that would lead one to believe you arrived at a message to choose one thing or another but the screen is blank so who knows what popped up in what would otherwise be a notice of some sort. The tone is one I hear such as a pop up appeared of a bubble caption. It is a simple bop sound that you would see with a bubble caption in some applications or maybe a notice that your printer is unplugged kind of a sound. I just get the feeling this is a simple fix.

26-Sep-2005, 08:11 PM #7
Has nothing to do with the PC, F8 is an OS issue to get to safe mode

What does the BSOD say

26-Sep-2005, 08:15 PM #8
No Text At All, Just A Blank Blue Screen
Member with 1,318 posts.

26-Sep-2005, 08:22 PM #9
ok I know you say its a blank blue screen but is it similar to the one in the picture below or a lighter shade of blue like what you get on the XP welcome screen?

http://www.palindrom.agava.ru/images/intro/bsod.gif

26-Sep-2005, 08:31 PM #10
I know what a BSOD is - what are the details of the screen - the error mesage the stop code etc.
Member with 1,318 posts.

26-Sep-2005, 08:34 PM #11
MFDnSC, I know you know what a BSOD is!!....i just posted pic in case OP is confusing a
frozen windows welcome screen with a BSOD.

26-Sep-2005, 08:35 PM #12
rodeognome, sorry - its hard to keep up with who is posting
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

26-Sep-2005, 08:40 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaton
I tied tapping the F2 and F8 neither work. It is a generic brand, 933Mhz, 64MB of RAM.
Again this happens immediately after the Welcome screen. A Blank Blue Screen. The cursur moves, so it appears the settings are set to high to allow RAM to show the desktop. There is a tone on the speakers that would lead one to believe you arrived at a message to choose one thing or another but the screen is blank so who knows what popped up in what would otherwise be a notice of some sort. The tone is one I hear such as a pop up appeared of a bubble caption. It is a simple bop sound that you would see with a bubble caption in some applications or maybe a notice that your printer is unplugged kind of a sound. I just get the feeling this is a simple fix.
Is it a USB keyboard per chance? F8 should work, just keep tapping it from the point of powering it up.

AND OMG....YOU ARE RUNNING XP WITH 64 MEGS OF RAM?????? Impossible I say.

26-Sep-2005, 09:01 PM #14
Again I have no errors prior to the XP welcome screen, Afterward it goes blank blue. It has to be the screen settings and I need to get into the safe mode to set them. I'm sure that is the issue. Everything else seems fine except I can't get F2, F8 or anything to get me into Safe Boot.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

26-Sep-2005, 09:06 PM #15
F8 needs to be hit WAAAAAYYYYYY before the welcome screen. Are you doing this?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!