Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: how do i move files from c drive to d drive (both hard drives)

(!)

Junior Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Sep-2005, 04:55 PM #1
Solved: how do i move files from c drive to d drive (both hard drives)
Hi guys, computer's running a lil bit slow and wont allow me to install my new mobile phone software as c drive memory is full, i've tried my best to move things to the d drive hard disk but its still really full...

is there any safe way of transferring most of the programs and files over to the second hard drive?

many thanks,
jen
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-Sep-2005, 12:26 AM #2
Create a Program Files folder on the second drive. Uninstall some programs and reinstall them, specifying a folder on the new drive as an installation location.

You can move your My Document folder to the other drive by right-clicking and changing its location.

In the System properties in Control Panel, you can change the location of your pagefile to the other drive.

In Internet Options, you can move the temporary internet files folder to the other drive.

There are some applications for moving installed programs, such as Aloha Bob's PC Relocator, or Change of Address, but these are not free.

The best idea---get a larger drive and clone the old one to it. Or if your second drive is considerably larger than the first, clear all your files from the second drive, clone the first to the second, and exchange them.
Member with 106 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2005, 12:58 AM #3
dont try and just "dragging and dropping" your programs onto the new harddrive, because 9/10 they wont work..

the programs will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled in the new location to ensure they work properly...the other stuff like personal files, favourites etc can just be dragged over

29-Sep-2005, 05:21 AM #4
hi, managed to get change of address 2 - can i copy all of the program files folder at once or should i just do individual ones? thanks Jen

29-Sep-2005, 05:23 AM #5
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
29-Sep-2005, 08:34 AM #6
You can move the files in "My Documents" by right clicking on that Icon, select Properties . . Under the Target tab, click Move . . browse to the D drive and it will ask if you want to move the files . . say yes and it will do it for you. After that, the system will access and saver files to that drive.

Microsoft MCCA 2012
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2005, 11:48 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkysheep
hi, managed to get change of address 2 - can i copy all of the program files folder at once or should i just do individual ones? thanks Jen
Just start the program and follow the directions.

29-Sep-2005, 06:03 PM #8
cheers guys managed to sort it thanks xx

01-Oct-2005, 11:37 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by adblink182
dont try and just "dragging and dropping" your programs onto the new harddrive, because 9/10 they wont work..

the programs will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled in the new location to ensure they work properly...the other stuff like personal files, favourites etc can just be dragged over
hi erm , i think i might have copied some of them by mistake instead of using coa 2 software .. now some of the shortcuts dont work and i get an error relating to windows exe
thanks, Jen

p.s. i really must stop fiddling round ! cant resist though oops!
Computer Specs

01-Oct-2005, 12:39 PM #10
If you moved programs manually, you will need to make new shortcuts to the exe's.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!