Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

[B]Locked out of User/Admin Account - wrong password guesses?[/B]

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2005, 04:53 AM #1
Unhappy [B]Locked out of User/Admin Account - wrong password guesses?[/B]
Locked out of User/Admin Account - wrong password guesses?

Help guys,

I've had my account LOCKED (acc name: "SENIOR") on my home PC running WIN XP Professional (version 2002 i.e. no SP's).

The kids typed in the wrong password too many times and now WIN has decided to lock the account for me. This account was set up with full Admin rights so I do all my system admin through it.

There is another Administrator account on the machine - I guess we'd call this the MAIN Admin account??? - but I've never had reason to use it so I've forgotten the password for this one and I've tried a couple to no avail. Don't want to keep guessing for fear of locking this one out too.

Through another user account (with min priviledges) I have access to the machine and I can get to my usual account in Command Prompt <runas /user:SENIOR(i.e. username) cmd> but I'm not familiar enough with command prompts to figure out how I can restore my main/usual account (i.e. SENIOR).

Anybody able to point me in the right direction?

"Oh kids - I just love em - but I couldn't eat a full one" ;-)

tia,
J
Senior Member with 189 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Oct-2005, 05:27 AM #2
none will help with this topick!

10-Oct-2005, 06:06 AM #3
Red face Confused???
Quote:
Originally Posted by endri
none will help with this topick!
Hi Endri,
I'm confused by your reply. Is this a private forum?
Senior Member with 189 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Oct-2005, 06:13 AM #4
I didnt want to mean that. I just think that helping you with this problem is like forcing a password protected account. (that may be or not yours) do you undestand me?

10-Oct-2005, 06:30 AM #5
I get you alright
I get you alright but let me assure you it's my account.

And to help clarify - as I pointed out I'm able to get into MY account through the Command Prompt where I need to enter my username "SENIOR" and must enter my password to proceed. I've done both - thus proving to the machine it is me ;-)

Anyway I've now booted into safe mode and have been able to access my account (using my password) but I'm trying to figure out where to go for Bios Admin as someone pointed out I should go there:

QUOTE>>>>>>
BOOT INTO "SAFE MODE"
go to the BIOS ADMIN,
stick with the prompts that take you to the bios admin acct in the "SAFE MODE"
make your changes.
make your own account a password protected admin acct or you'll be sorry.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,487 posts.

10-Oct-2005, 06:49 AM #6
There are utilities that will reset or allow you to change a password in win2k, xp, or nt.

Refer this post to a mod. If they approve then I will post a link to how to do this.

I want a mod to approve, because this is considered hacking.
Newbie07 Newbie07 is offline Newbie07 has a Profile Picture
Member with 90 posts.

10-Oct-2005, 07:01 AM #7
There is a way to turn off the option of locking accounts. Here is the process.
start > control panel > performance and maintenance > administrative tools > local security settings > open account lockout policy folder > set "account lockout threshold to the value "0".
This should make it so your computer will not lock up when you have typed in an invalid password. Right now, yours might be set on a certain value, with the time limit set at the default "30 minutes". When you tried signing back in and the computer was locked, that was probably because you didn't wait out the account lockout duration.

10-Oct-2005, 07:34 AM #8
Arrow Spot on
You're spot on NEWBIE.

"Well blow me away"

After dossing around for the last few hours, googling and soliciting advice from you guys in the forum I go along and find out my efforts were in vain.

I got back into my account and went to change the Lock out timers for something a little less sensitive only to find out they were already set with only a 15 minute time-out for wrong password submissions...huh???

Well it's a damn pity it was my home PC, no one paying me for my time wasted.

Whilst I have your attention and I'm on this matter:
How can I reset the main Administrator password? The one that must have been set up when I initially installed XP back in 2003.

I've come up with problems in the past trying to network my laptop with the desktop and could never get the password combo so I've gone along for the last 8 months transferring files by USB between them...

Call me plain stupid or something but I just can't get the two of em to talk. I found it a lot easier to set up networks with 95/98 than the apparently network friendly XP.

They both see each other in network neighbourhood but my log in password just wont be accepted.

Do I need to reset this main Admin password or does anyone have another avenue for me?

Again tia,
J

PS I respect the decision for the MOD check and want to point out that obviously for me to now be back in with everything working fine I am the owner/administrator and final <buck stop> on this PC and have had to provide my password (proof) to have gotten this far.

Would like to be proficient enough to be able to hack but my skills, despite using PC's since 97, are simply not anywhere good enough - hence the reason for my VERY simple minded posts 8-)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!