Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Monitor constantly in power save mode...

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Oct-2005, 02:46 PM #1
Arrow Monitor constantly in power save mode...
I just bought a 19" Dell Trinitron Monitor to go with my recently bought PC and as i plug the monitor's wires and power-on the monitor, i get a blank black screen with the following message; "Monitor is in Power Save mode. Activate using PC." *Note that i didn't even turn-on the PC yet, i just plugged the monitor's wires. So i turn on my PC, and still get the same message. I know as a fact that the monitor isn't broken neither is the PC damaged since i tried them first before buying, it seems like the monitor and my PC aren't compatible together since i saw the Dell Trinitron work on another computer and saw my own computer work on another monitor. How confusing

Let me know what to do if you have experienced/know the cause of this problem.

Thanks

Last edited by Spades09; 16-Oct-2005 at 02:56 PM..
Member with 7,794 posts.

16-Oct-2005, 07:19 PM #2
Although you wouldn't think the OS would have anything to do with the problem, this is what Dell suggests. Hook up the monitor that worked with the system. In windows go into Power Options and disable all the power management schemes. Shut down and hook up the Triniton. Good luck, I can't believe this will work (not to be pessimistic or anything )

16-Oct-2005, 07:55 PM #3
Thanks for the input, i tought about doing that i just don't have a spare monitor at the moment but i'll ask a friend and find out. Hopefully i can fix it within 30 days otherwise i'll just use my warranty and get another one... But i really like this one so lets hope i can fix it.

Anyone else?
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Getting there slowly
16-Oct-2005, 08:13 PM #4
Hi Spades,
I don't think its a compatibility issue I've never heard of anything like that and the screen you mention sounds like a standard screen the monitor displays with the pc is switched off (I get something similar).
For the compatibility issue though try giving a little more information to get more of a response. What motherboard and video card you are using would be very useful.
Also I know it may seem obvious but is everything plugged in the right place, in particular are there two connections for your monitor on the back for your pc? ie. 1 on the motherboard and 1 on the video card. If so have you tried both?
I had a similar problem with my pc when I bought it 6 months ago. When I put it together my monitor remained on standby even thought the pc seemed to boot(the fans were running etc..). However when I sent the pc back it turned out the processor was damaged. The company I purchased the computer from refused to accept the damage had taken place on their premises and insisted that I had done the damage myself!!!. The truth is I never touched the processor so either their quality procedures didn't work, or my pc was damaged in transit. The big question is have you used the computer at home at all? If not then I would send your pc back it could be damaged. If thats the case I wish you luck I had to get Trading Standards involved to sort out my disagreement.

Last edited by bb wolf; 16-Oct-2005 at 10:38 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,452 posts.

16-Oct-2005, 08:45 PM #5
Don't know how to check this when you don't have a monitor working, but does your computer have available the driver for the Trinitron Monitor?

16-Oct-2005, 08:47 PM #6
Yes sorry, here's my pc specs;

AMD Athlon XP 1500 (1.33 ghz)
GeForce FX 5500 (128MB DDR AGP 8x/4x)
512mb RAM
Not sure about motherboard, i believe its a Soyo SY-K7VME

and no i didnt try the cpu at home, i bought it off a friend about a week ago. I tried it at his house and it worked fine. HIS monitor worked fine we reformated the PC and installed Windows XP and then it sat in my chamber untill i bought this monitor, wich was yesterday.

And yes i have 2 slots behind my cpu for the monitor's wire, one on my video card and another one above it, i tried both and no luck.

16-Oct-2005, 08:54 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
Don't know how to check this when you don't have a monitor working, but does your computer have available the driver for the Trinitron Monitor?
Hmm can you be a little more specific? why shouldnt it be avalaible? Tell me how to chek it, i don't have a working monitor right now but i will first thing in the morning tomorow, i'll bring my PC over at my friend's.

*Edit* to BB_Wolf;
at least i hope the problem is the monitor, because if it's my processor i'm kind of screwed, i dont have another 200$ to spend! But i doubt it... It was working last week and the only thing i did between last week and now was cleaning up the pc cuz it was really dirty...

Last edited by Spades09; 16-Oct-2005 at 09:19 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,452 posts.

16-Oct-2005, 09:14 PM #8
Sorry, Spades09, I don't have good answers to any of your questions. I'm just trying to offer anything that might be of use to you.

One obvious reason for the driver not being available is if the monitor is relatively recent and became available after the XP system disk you used.

I have no idea how to check. I'd try going to the Dell (and/or Trinitron) web site and see if they have a driver and instructions for how to download and install it.

I think that power saving stuff norton850 described has a much better chance of working, because if the proper driver is not available usually Windows will use a generic one. The display with a generic driver may be pretty ugly, but somethin's better 'n nothin'.
Member with 7,794 posts.

16-Oct-2005, 10:40 PM #9
This is all pre windows stuff so you won't need any drivers. That's why I'm somewhat skeptical about the Dell solution.
Senior Member with 257 posts.

Experience: Hardware Pro, Software EH
16-Oct-2005, 11:29 PM #10
The Dell solution
Hits it right on the head!!!

But first boot up in safe mode, see if the monitor works then, if it does, then you need to upgrade the driver !!! (VIDEO) but in safe mode you will be in 16 color and 640x480 resolution!!! If it works then follow the next procedure!!!without hooking up CRT monitor, do it in safe mode and reboot !!!

Hook up a CRT Monitor
{if ok in safe, dont]
>> Then right Click desktop>>left click properties>Click screensaver Tab>>Click Power options box> top dropdown box>> change to never>>then hibernate tab unclick box enable hibernate>> ok out >> shutdown>>replace monitor and "PRAY"" LOL

Hope it works!!! Jerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!