Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My Gateway is misbehaving

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: novice
16-Oct-2005, 11:07 PM #1
Unhappy My Gateway is misbehaving
Hello,
I sure hope you can help me.
I hope my problem really is based on Windows XP, since that is what my Gateway has.
Anyway, one day I turned on my computer, and, as always the screen with "Gateway" "Intel Inside" and "Pentium 4" on it popped up, which is okay, but then it stayed on for ten minutes, and instead of going to the normal screen where you'd see the nice wallpaper and little icons, it went to a black screen with this on it: Copyright 96 - 2004 Intel Corporation, then it had the serial number and this stuff: Intel (R) Pentium(R) 4cpu 2.66GHz
DDR -333--> Operating in single channel memory.
Mods
Total Installed Memory: 248MB Sytem RAM
Legacy keyboard detected
legacy mouse detected, and USB legacy enabled
ATAPI CD-ROM 3M-Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252s
Error 106
Press <f4> to run SETUP
When I press F4 I go to another black page with this on it: Enter Current Password. After I do this it goes to a page I've never seen before, it is called "BIOS SETUP UTILITY," which has a lot of information that is strange to me.
After I hit the escape key from this page, there is, once again, another black page which says "Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert Boot Media in selected boot device.
Hey, this might not be the place to discuss this problem, maybe it's not even really about Windows XP, but I don't know enough about PCs or whatnot to know what place to go to.
By the way, in my computer tower there is now a clinking sound when it is doing the above mentioned problem!
If any one can tell me what I need to do, do tell!
Sincerely,
W.W.
Senior Member with 144 posts.

Experience: Average
16-Oct-2005, 11:27 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy_Wonka
Hello,
I sure hope you can help me.
I hope my problem really is based on Windows XP, since that is what my Gateway has.
Anyway, one day I turned on my computer, and, as always the screen with "Gateway" "Intel Inside" and "Pentium 4" on it popped up, which is okay, but then it stayed on for ten minutes, and instead of going to the normal screen where you'd see the nice wallpaper and little icons, it went to a black screen with this on it: Copyright 96 - 2004 Intel Corporation, then it had the serial number and this stuff: Intel (R) Pentium(R) 4cpu 2.66GHz
DDR -333--> Operating in single channel memory.
Mods
Total Installed Memory: 248MB Sytem RAM
Legacy keyboard detected
legacy mouse detected, and USB legacy enabled
ATAPI CD-ROM 3M-Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252s
Error 106
Press <f4> to run SETUP
When I press F4 I go to another black page with this on it: Enter Current Password. After I do this it goes to a page I've never seen before, it is called "BIOS SETUP UTILITY," which has a lot of information that is strange to me.
After I hit the escape key from this page, there is, once again, another black page which says "Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert Boot Media in selected boot device.
Hey, this might not be the place to discuss this problem, maybe it's not even really about Windows XP, but I don't know enough about PCs or whatnot to know what place to go to.
By the way, in my computer tower there is now a clinking sound when it is doing the above mentioned problem!
If any one can tell me what I need to do, do tell!
Sincerely,
W.W.
Sounds like a hard drive problem, do you still have warrenty on your Gateway?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!