Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Folder keeps repeating itself over and over

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

22-Oct-2005, 03:22 AM #1
Folder keeps repeating itself over and over
OK, this is a weird one I think.

I have two hard drives. On one of them, the one that does not have Windows on it, I discovered an icon that looked like a disk drive (the same icon that represents my hard drives in My Computer) that is labeled New Folder, but it does not have the regular folder icon. The directory this folder is located at is D:\ProgramFiles\Games\EA Sports\New Folder

I was pretty sure I did not create this, so I looked to see what files were inside of it. Well, all it has is in it are the same folders that are located in my D:\ProgramFiles\Games folder, but it has them over and over and over, forever, as long as I can look. The files have been repeated again and again. So not only is it taking up a ton of room, on my hard drive, whenever I scan for viruses or anything on this drive, it has to scan all those folders again, and again and again and it takes forever. When I try to delete the files within this "New Folder" it also deletes the actual files that are supposed to be there too, erasing them from the computer. I hope this sort of makes sense. I should also mention that the programFiles folder is a second one someone created by accident, that is why there is not space between the words.

So what is going on here? I have scanned for viruses, spyware and adware, so I don't think it has anything to do with that. Is it some sort of backup that went awry?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2.8 ghz Pentium 4 w/ HT Technology
Intel D865PERL mobo
1 gig RAM
GeForce X5900XT w/ 256
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2
2 x 160gb Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200rpm hard drives (320gb total)
Member with 75 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Oct-2005, 05:14 AM #2
well I asked some friends on this one, and we have never seen that before, the only thing we could come up with was to try to delete the "New Folder", or try to at least. It may kill all your games, but it may solve the issue. I wish I could find better information for you, but that's it. Sorry,

Good luck!
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,869 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Oct-2005, 07:19 AM #3
DO NOT DELETE IT. - YET
There is a problem with the FAT or MFT (depending on whether it is FAT32 or NTFS) and it has a circular reference.
What you need to do is run CHKDSK D: /R
That will spot what is going on and correct it. You can then decide what to do with it
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!