Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: My PC Won't Start In Normal Mode Anymore.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 613 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Oct-2005, 02:22 AM #1
Solved: My PC Won't Start In Normal Mode Anymore.
Hello,

My PC won't start in Normal Mode anymore.

I went to restart it in SafeMode by this method:

Start>Run>Msconfig>SafeBoot Option>Restart

When the PC restarted it stalled where you get to choose which type of start you want, eg:

Last known good configuration, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Normal Bootup, etc.

At the top of the screen was this message:

Windows failed to start properly due to a Hardware/Software change you may have made recently.

I noticed that my mouse/keyboard has failed too and this stopped my being able to select an option.

My mouse is USB and the keyboard is part of a wireless combo. The wireless mouse doesn't work anymore but the keyboard is still in use. It has the receiver which usually lights up but in this instance is dead too.

Because of the manner in which I entered into the SafeMode chain of events my PC is rebooting back into SafeMode in an infinite loop until I power off {which I have to do by hitting the powerpoint switch because the PC power button won't respond}

How can I get around this loop and start my PC normally without boot discs?

My PC won't reboot into Normal Mode until I log into SafeMode and reverse the booting option.

I tried the XP installation disc but the PC would'nt boot from the disc.

Last edited by Serge_N_Gin; 25-Oct-2005 at 04:33 AM..
Member with 303 posts.

25-Oct-2005, 03:35 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedonna
Hello,

My PC won't start in Normal Mode anymore.

I went to restart it in SafeMode by this method:

Start>Run>Msconfig>SafeBoot Option>Restart

When the PC restarted it stalled where you get to choose which type of start you want, eg:

Last known good configuration, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Normal Bootup, etc.

At the top of the screen was this message:

Windows failed to start properly due to a Hardware/Software change you may have made recently.

I noticed that my mouse/keyboard had failed too and this stopped my being able to select an option.

Because of the manner in which I entered into the SafeMode chain of events my PC is rebooting back into SafeMode in an infinite loop until I power off {which I have to do by hitting the powerpoint switch because the PC power button won't respond}

How can I get around this loop and start my PC normally without boot discs?

I tried the XP installation disc but the PC would'nt boot from the disc.
I think your keyboard is still usable..if not try another one
you can easily move your way around using the Windows hotkey on the keyboard for the Start menu..move around the menu with the arrow keys..tab key your way around the buttons and and tabs for the msconfig window..and use + or - to check or uncheck a box...
Computer Specs
Member with 613 posts.

25-Oct-2005, 04:35 AM #3
Can I use my Mac Keyboard? It's usb and very recent.
Member with 420 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Oct-2005, 08:54 AM #4
This is what I had to do for the same problem but I could use My keyboard. in msconfig. using my tab button I checked "normal startup" in the general tab, then clicked the "startup" tab and had to undo any changes I made there and that solved the prob.. Hope this helps
Computer Specs
Member with 613 posts.

25-Oct-2005, 05:09 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb702
This is what I had to do for the same problem but I could use My keyboard. in msconfig. using my tab button I checked "normal startup" in the general tab, then clicked the "startup" tab and had to undo any changes I made there and that solved the prob.. Hope this helps
My keyboard isn't responding at all and because it's part of a wireless combo and the receiver isn't showing any LCD lights I can't get past the Select your method of SafeMode screen. There's a countdown to reboot and it just reboots to this screen, then counts down until I make a selection, which I can't, then reboots in a never-ending cycle. I just hit the powerpoint and shut it down to stop it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!