Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Renaming & deleting msvcrt.dll files

(!)

Member with 575 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Nov-2005, 02:05 PM #1
Solved: Renaming & deleting msvcrt.dll files
I have had problems with the msvcrt.dll file causing crashes in Adobe.

After reading for possible fixes, I tried renaming msvcrt.dll in c:\windows\system32 to msvcrt.old, with the intention of pasting in a different version of msvcrt.dll. Whenever msvcrt.dll is renamed or deleted however, a new one is automatically regenerated. If a msvcrt.dll file is present, a newer version cannot be pasted over it as an error comes up that the file already exists.

Somehow (can't remember now) I did manage to get a different version of msvcrt.dll into the folder.

So then I had the original msvcrt.dll named msvcrt.old and the pasted in version was msvcrt.dll.

This didn't fix my problem however so then I tried changing back.

This is where my new problem is - I can't change back to the old version of msvcrt.dll.

If I delete the existing (new) dll file, a copy is automatically regenerated. I can't replace it by pasting over it. If I delete it a new one is generated. I can't rename the old file to msvcrt.dll as I get the message that one already exists.

I tried rebooting and looked for a command prompt but I only appeared to have an option of safe mode with prompt which was a command prompt within safe mode windows. I tried deleting and renaming there but the process was not allowed.

How can I change these files back...or how do I get to a proper DOS prompt?
Member with 6,052 posts.

09-Nov-2005, 02:14 PM #2
Have you tried a System Restore to a date before you changed the file? You could try to delete the file while in safe mode (without networking or prompt). This loads only the programs that are necessary to be loaded.
Member with 575 posts.

09-Nov-2005, 02:51 PM #3
I tried in Safe Mode & after a few problems I got it to work - I had used safe mode/command prompt before but that hadn't worked.

The msvcrt.dll file keeps a backup copy in dllcache which seems to regenerate whenever this file is deleted. The problem was with changing versions the dllcache was replacing the version I didn't want. However I was able to rename the msvcrt.dll file (the one I had trialled) and also rename the original file back to msvcrt.dll in safe mode. It took a few goes & restarts though to get it to report as the correct version (At one stage the original file was reporting as the correct size and date, but still showing the older version number, but now is all as it was).

I'd still like to know however:
How do you start a WinXP laptop in "proper" MS-DOS? This doesn't seem to be an option from the F8 menu. There are quite a few things that you need to be in real DOS to do, as opposed to a dos prompt from within windows.
Member with 575 posts.

09-Nov-2005, 02:52 PM #4
By the way Thanks for the idea - I didn't think safe mode would work after safe mode/command prompt didn't work
Member with 6,052 posts.

09-Nov-2005, 03:26 PM #5
Windows XP uses the command prompt. You can read about the changes on this site. Changes to MS-DOS Commands.
Member with 575 posts.

09-Nov-2005, 03:46 PM #6
Yes but I'm not talking about the command prompt that operates from within Windows. I'm trying to find out how to start the computer in DOS without ever going into Windows. Thanks.
Member with 6,052 posts.

09-Nov-2005, 06:13 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozegirl
Yes but I'm not talking about the command prompt that operates from within Windows. I'm trying to find out how to start the computer in DOS without ever going into Windows. Thanks.
Create MS-DOS bootable diskette
Member with 575 posts.

09-Nov-2005, 06:40 PM #8
That might help except that I don't have a floppy drive on the laptop. Perhaps I could do the same with a CD. Thanks, for now I think I won't worry about it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!