Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PRoblems installing XP in Compaq Evo N400c laptop

(!)

Member with 99 posts.

Experience: Obsessive compulsive with my puter
02-Dec-2005, 02:05 AM #1
PRoblems installing XP in Compaq Evo N400c laptop
Im having aproblem with this laptop that My friend bought. It had windows 95 on it before and will only load to the dos c: prompt on startup. BAsed on what the bios says it has everything that Xp requires. I have a dvd/cd rw drive seperately attached to the parallel port (a floppy drive was attached to it and I got a dvd/cd rw that matched it) bc there is no drive space available for it. In bios when I try to have the boot menu it gives me 3 options--multibay 1 & 2 and HDD. I have tried to select both the 1 & 2 bays but it keeps giving me a "601--Disk Controller Failure" Thus resulting in the dvd/cd rw drive not being recognized or failing to boot from it. does anyone know how I can install XP on this machine? I have an xp cd. Does anyone think that an external cd rom throughthe usb port would work? Please help me!
Senior Member with 3,178 posts.

Experience: Slapping around Mulder for years now
06-Dec-2005, 02:11 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spmook
Im having aproblem with this laptop that My friend bought. It had windows 95 on it before and will only load to the dos c: prompt on startup. BAsed on what the bios says it has everything that Xp requires. I have a dvd/cd rw drive seperately attached to the parallel port (a floppy drive was attached to it and I got a dvd/cd rw that matched it) bc there is no drive space available for it. In bios when I try to have the boot menu it gives me 3 options--multibay 1 & 2 and HDD. I have tried to select both the 1 & 2 bays but it keeps giving me a "601--Disk Controller Failure" Thus resulting in the dvd/cd rw drive not being recognized or failing to boot from it. does anyone know how I can install XP on this machine? I have an xp cd. Does anyone think that an external cd rom throughthe usb port would work? Please help me!
You could try, but if the BIOS doesn't specify "USB device" as a boot option, then it might not work...

Is there any way you could try to obtain a CD-ROM drive that would fit in one of the multibays?

Only other possible workaround I can think of is to try using a Windows 98 boot disk (with CD-ROM support) to see if it recognizes your parallel external CD drive; If it does, then install Windows 98 on the machine, then upgrade it to Windows XP....
Member with 99 posts.

07-Dec-2005, 12:23 AM #3
The bios doesnt specify USB as a boot device. And the laptop doestn even have any multibays to actually take out. The floppy itself is through the parallel port. HOW would I go abouts of doing the win 98 boot disk? THe version of Win 95 that is on it now doesnt even load properly it actually just goes straight into dos. Please help me!

07-Dec-2005, 12:54 PM #4
Hey,

Only other solution I can think of is to download and install the latest ROMPaq from HP:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/20615.html

Once you've updated the BIOS, then maybe try hooking up an external CD-ROM drive though USB and see if it will boot off your XP CD from that...
Member with 99 posts.

08-Dec-2005, 02:38 AM #5
ok attempted to use the Bios update disk that you provided columbo (thanks!) that seemed to go ook but when I checked it again the bios never updated it still says the dat eof the bios as the older one. and there is no UBS boot capabilities. This thing has got me on my last nerve!...any other suggestions?

08-Dec-2005, 09:35 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spmook
ok attempted to use the Bios update disk that you provided columbo (thanks!) that seemed to go ook but when I checked it again the bios never updated it still says the dat eof the bios as the older one. and there is no UBS boot capabilities. This thing has got me on my last nerve!...any other suggestions?
It didn't update? What happened when you booted off that floppy (i.e. did it run through the whole BIOS updating process)?

What is the revision date that it is giving you now in the BIOS?

I suggested the update primarily because in the revision notes from HP, it indicated that the update provides support for USBDiskKeys, so I was hoping that it might work for any external USB.

I did a search for you on Compaq's support forums, and someone suggested going into the BIOS and changing the boot option to "Multiboot" (maybe they meant "multibay"?) then going to "Device Options" and choosing "Enable USB Legacy Support".

Also make sure that "Multiboot" is enabled under the options (if the option exists).

Can you try enabling that, then try booting from your XP CD using your external USB CD-ROM drive?

Last edited by columbo; 08-Dec-2005 at 09:51 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!