Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

NEC PCI To USB Open Host controller???

(!)

Senior Member with 133 posts.

21-Dec-2005, 10:39 AM #1
NEC PCI To USB Open Host controller???
Hi,
I have just reinstall my operating system and everything goes smoothly except that I found an yellow exclamation mark in 'NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller' under Universal Serial Bus Controller.However when I turn off my PC,I encountered problem in swithing on again.I have to continuously press the startup button in order for it to boot again.Is that yellow exclamation mark the cause of this problem?If not,then what has happen to my PC?How do I get rid of that eclamation mark?I am running on windows XP Pro Serv.Pk2.Thank you for your advice and rescue!
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Old dog - New tricks - Improving - 'slowly'
21-Dec-2005, 11:03 AM #2
Hi,
Did you re-install the drivers also ? if so, they may need updating.
Member with 33 posts.

21-Dec-2005, 12:21 PM #3
Hi again,

If you go to the paragraph titled below, this should give you more info

Troubleshooting USB 2.0 Device

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...2august05.mspx
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

21-Dec-2005, 03:23 PM #4
Make sure you load your motherboard drivers, many embedded USB controllers require them to function. If that's not the issue, try this little raindance to clean out all the mis-configured USB drivers and start fresh.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

21-Dec-2005, 05:04 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tittlemouse
Hi,
Did you re-install the drivers also ? if so, they may need updating.
No,i did not reinstall the drivers coz windows XP has done the job for me.This is so as I don't see any (?) or (!) in my device manager except this.
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2005, 06:32 PM #6
The motherboard drivers are different from any USB drivers. USB drivers are included with 2K/XP, so those don't requre any 3rd party updates.

22-Dec-2005, 01:09 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
The motherboard drivers are different from any USB drivers. USB drivers are included with 2K/XP, so those don't requre any 3rd party updates.
But god!I have lost my CD rom for the motherboard driver.Can I download from the internet?How do I check what model and make is my motherboard driver?Thank you.
Member with 33 posts.

22-Dec-2005, 01:26 AM #8
Download ' AIDA32 ' from this site, put a shortcut to your desktop, and when you enter it will tell you all you need about your system.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloads9.html

22-Dec-2005, 02:56 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tittlemouse
Download ' AIDA32 ' from this site, put a shortcut to your desktop, and when you enter it will tell you all you need about your system.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloads9.html
Thks!I have downloaded 'AIDA32' and found my motherboard's name to be Aristo AM-957.The problem is I search all over the net but cannot find the motherboard driver with this brand.Pls help!Thanks!

22-Dec-2005, 03:17 AM #10
Quote:
Make sure you load your motherboard drivers, many embedded USB controllers require them to function. If that's not the issue, try this little raindance to clean out all the mis-configured USB drivers and start fresh.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.
I have followed every single step you commanded but after all this,I now have a yellow ? in System DMA Controller under device mgr.I tried to update this driver by choosing the 'Install this software automatically' option but the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.What shall i do?Pls advice.Thks a lot!
Computer Specs

22-Dec-2005, 09:40 AM #11
Well, the first question was downloading the MB drivers, you can do that from the manufacturer's site.

As for the DMA controller, use System Restore to go back before you ran this process. I find it a bit odd that happened, since I've used this procedure countless times without issues like that. I think there is some underlying registry corruption that we don't know about here...

I'd start by downloading and installing the latest MB drivers for your system.

26-Dec-2005, 06:02 AM #12
Quote:
Well, the first question was downloading the MB drivers, you can do that from the manufacturer's site.

As for the DMA controller, use System Restore to go back before you ran this process. I find it a bit odd that happened, since I've used this procedure countless times without issues like that. I think there is some underlying registry corruption that we don't know about here...

I'd start by downloading and installing the latest MB drivers for your system.
Sorry that i've lost my motherboard driver CD-ROM.I tried open the casing for my CPU but couldn't find the brand and model no.I will be very grateful if you can tell me if I can download any program that can access this exact information from my system.Thank you very much!
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2005, 11:20 AM #13
Download Everest Home from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

It will tell you tons of stuff about your system, including the make/model of the motherboard.

28-Dec-2005, 04:48 PM #14
Quote:
Download Everest Home from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

It will tell you tons of stuff about your system, including the make/model of the motherboard.
I have downloaded Everest Home and the search result for motherboard properties is as follows: Motherboard name --Aristo AM-957
Motherboard ID --12/14/2000-693-686-2A6LGV3GC-00
I would like to know if this information is correct.Thank you!

28-Dec-2005, 05:27 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichan
I have downloaded Everest Home and the search result for motherboard properties is as follows: Motherboard name --Aristo AM-957
Motherboard ID --12/14/2000-693-686-2A6LGV3GC-00
I would like to know if this information is correct.Thank you!
I am sure whether i am correct or not.I tried to download the driver from here:http://www.drivers.hu/drv_dwnload.php?id=11618.In the zip folder,there are 4 files,namely,V1212AG.Bin;V1214AG.Bin; V1218AG.Bin and note.txt.The details of the note.txt is: ARISTO AM-957 VIA-ApolloPro133 (ATX) Motherboard - Award BIOS
(VT82C693A+VT82C686A/686B)

V1212AG.BIN For Winbond (39A) Clock Gen IC
Dec/2000

V1218AG.BIN For Winbond (39B) Clock Gen IC
Dec/2000

V1214AG.BIN For ICW-W144 Clock Gen IC
Dec/2000

.2MBit (256KByte) Flash IC
.Added support on VIA South Bridge 686B
.Different BIOS files for different Clock Gen IC support

Remark :
======
Please identify the clock generator IC on your motherboard before updating the BIOS. Upgrading with a wrong BIOS file may result in failure to power up after the upgrade !

I can't figure out what all these files are for and are these the motherboard drivers?Pls advice.Thank you!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!