Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I change the right click options

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Dec-2005, 11:07 PM #1
Unhappy How do I change the right click options
I am running 500 MHz CPU and 512 mb's RAM with a 80 gig harddrive and XP Pro Operating system.
When I click on my computer and it brings up the explorer window this is normal but if I click inside that window on a drive such as my CD drive or one of my partitions that I created with the 80 gig harddrive it brings up a search window as if I clicked on the search option from the start menu.

If you right click the icon for the cd drive or one of the partitioned drives the right click menu shows search first, then open, then explore. also if I create a new folder on the desktop and make some sort of short cut to lets say a document file or to drive D I get the same thing it brings up the search window instead of whatever short cut I have the icon pointing to.
I do know that my computer was not doing this and it just started doing it a few days ago and I am not sure what caused it I have removed anything I installed and ran norton system works and fixed anything that was wrong. What else can I do any suggestions?
I ran adware and spybot and regseeke. It could have been one of these programs but I have run all of them before with no problems like this.

If you go to start and then click on search, this is the window that comes up when I click on a folder on my desktop, or if I click on a CD or drive partition it does not go to the folder or the hddrive it is supposed to up comes a search results window.

Thank You in advance

Dave
Senior Member with 2,548 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Dec-2005, 01:30 AM #2
Copy the text below between the dotted lines - but not the dotted lines themselves. Open Notepad and paste it in. Save the result as drives.reg in a suitable location - note: make sure you don't have the default .txt extension showing in the saved file name. Double-click on the saved drives.reg file to merge the contents into your Registry. Restart.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shell]
@="none"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell]
@="none"

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 44 posts.

23-Dec-2005, 07:37 PM #3
Thank You ever So Much it worked!!

Again Thank You Claymore. I merged the file into my registry and it worked great. I would like to know just how that happened and what program deleted the registry key.
Member with 44 posts.

23-Dec-2005, 07:41 PM #4
Solved, SOLVED

23-Dec-2005, 10:13 PM #5
Hi,
Thanks for that.
There are a few ways that that condition could have happened, but what it involved was a change in the default action when you double-clicked on a drive or folder. When you right-click on a drive, folder or file, the default action (what happens when you double-click) is the one at the top of the list in bold letters. In your case Search would have been at the top of the list. This is normally set in Folder Options => File Types and then, in your particular case, Drive and Folder. This default action can be changed by going to the file type (in your case Drive and Folder), clicking the Advanced button, selecting one of the available actions and clicking the Default button. This is rarely a good idea (see below). In your case Find had been set as the Default.
These actions are actually recorded for every file type in the Registry at the locations I gave. The trouble is that once a default action is set in File Types, it cannot be unset there, unless another default is selected (who knows why there isn't a button to deselect a set Default). The only way to unbold everything is to go to the Registry and set the default action as either a blank or "none" as I indicated in the Shell key. In your case the Registry script replaced "find" with "none".

Hope this is of interest.

Best regards
Junior Member with 8 posts.

16-Sep-2008, 12:37 PM #6
thanks to claymore i was also facing this problem from last one week.

I am also facing one more problem. When i attach a USB external harddisk to my laptop. And when i double click the hardrive icon besides going inside the hardisk it opens a window with "open with options-- select the program you want to open this file" Under the options it does not show the "open folder to view the files" option. And when i right click the external hardisk drive it shows all the options in order. ie open, autoplay explore and search. But only Auto play works because it open windows with "open folder to view the files" option which allows me to enter into the drive root. pl solve this problem.

16-Sep-2008, 01:29 PM #7
Hello.
I replied to your PM with a possible fix, but just in case, here it is again:

I'm going to presume a number of things. Let me know if any of these is not correct:
The drive is assigned a drive letter in Explorer (My Computer).
The drive is formatted.
The drive contains data (files).
If this is a hard drive that you inserted into a drive enclosure yourself, it is set as 'Master' with the jumper on the drive.

If it's "yes" to all of these, try the following in order:

1. Right-click on the drive and in the 'Open with' window, select, or navigate to 'explorer.exe' which is in the folder C:\Windows. Tick the box 'Always open...'.

2. Scan the attached USB drive for viruses (if you can).

3. Go to Start => Run and type in (or Copy/Paste) the following line:
regsvr32 /i shell32
{there is a space before and after /i}
Click OK

4. Right-click on your desktop and click on 'New' => 'Shortcut'.
In the 'location' box, type in (or Copy/Paste) the following:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\
{there is a space after .exe}
Click 'Next' and give the shortcut the name 'Explorer'.
Click Finish
Use this shortcut to open Explorer.

5. Go to Start => Run and type in cmd and click OK
In the window that opens, type in cd\
You should see this - C:\>
Type in the USB drive's drive letter followed by a colon, e.g. E:
The USB drive letter should show.
Type in the following line:
attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf
{there is a space before each of the minus signs (3) and before autorun.inf}
Next, type in this line:
del autorun.inf
{there is a space after del}

Detach and re-attach the drive.

16-Sep-2008, 02:08 PM #8
many many thanks to you.

The problem has been solved. Now the drive opens or shows its root by double clicking it. Pl tell me how you do that?

i know steps 1,2 4,5. except the 3rd one.
(but the drive showed the same problem even after completing the 3rd step and 4th step). The problem only removed when i completed the 5th step.
In 5 step you have removed the -read -hidden -system restrictions from the autorun.inf file. of the drive.

is i am right? why you have deleted the autorun.inf file.

pl explain why this problem occurs and what actually you did.?

Thanks once again for your help and i really really appreciate your knowledge.

16-Sep-2008, 04:11 PM #9
Hello again,

Sure glad you got it sorted.
An autorun file is the type of file found on (for example) some installation CD's. It is a very small file that can be just 2 or 3 lines of text that instructs the computer to run a certain file (e.g. an installation setup file). The computer is normally set to look for, and recognize, such a file and execute it automatically. If the executable that the autorun is pointing to doesn't exist, or can't open, then the autorun instruction fails and the media (floppy, CD, USB, hard drive) just sits there. This can be a problem with a hard drive when you click on it and it finds an autorun file that it can't execute. Normally there should not be an autorun file in the root of a hard drive (they can be inside folders). How do they get there? Some viruses will put such a file in the root of a drive to prevent it being accessed or causing the condition you had. The virus author will give the autorun hidden or system attributes so you can't see it, and maybe not just delete it if you can see it. The command you ran removes these possible attributes to allow you to delete it as you did.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best regards
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Sep-2008, 01:43 PM #10
Hi Claymore,

I'm new to this forum and I'm aware I'm not posting in the right spot. Please forgive my hi-jacking this thread. I just wanted to thank you for posting the solution to a problem related to the Windows Registry and the Quick Launch toolbar. The old thread is now closed (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...appearing.html) but I wanted to let you know what a relief it was to resolve this annoying problem! THANKS!

19-Sep-2008, 01:59 PM #11
Thanks, Felix. Glad you got it fixed.
Regards

20-Sep-2008, 06:58 AM #12
dear claymore i am facing problem with my Western digitial external laptop hardsik. Problem is when i click the icon of this hardisk to open it shows a windows with the following title
___________________________________________________________________________ _____________________
internet explorer script error

line 1
car 1
error The system cannot find the file specified.

code 0

url: javascript:New ActiveXObject(WScript.Shell').Run('SOLA\\SOLA.BAT-USB',O):window.close()

Do you wANT to continue running scripts on this page?

yes no
___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

when i press yes it opens a blank window and if no then nothing happens.

when i right click the hardisk icon it shows some other language alphabets instead of open, explore -options. other internal laptop hardisk is working properly.

thanks
and hope for your coperation.

20-Sep-2008, 08:47 AM #13
Hello again,

Is the "language" Chinese? You will want to run a virus scan on that drive.
If you can access the drive somehow, delete the folder "Sola" and again, any autorun file.

20-Sep-2008, 08:57 AM #14
yes the language looks lie Chinese or Japanese. when i right click the harddisk it shows autoplay option through which i can enter into the hardisk . ok i search the sola folder . thanks

20-Sep-2008, 09:02 AM #15
i want to say one word two times for you and that is "great Great." knowledge

once again you have solved my problem.

Yaa it was a virus present in the sola folder which was hidden .i have just delete that folder manually and the problem has solved.
thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!