Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Reinstalling explorer.exe

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jan-2006, 10:44 AM #1
Reinstalling explorer.exe
Hi, i recently opened a file that my firewall ( ZoneAlarm ) told me it wants to use explorer.exe thinking thats normal because i would be asked to browse i allowed it. When i did that my pc froze. I couldnt click anything but the i could kepp moving the mouse. I could only open the ctrl+alt+delete but couldnt click anything the same applies to the start menu by pressing the start menu button on my keyboard. After that my pc froze from time to time when its doing somethng that requires it to think lol i know funny sentence but what i mean is for exemple when i click the button to show the hidden files or to hide them it froze. Or opening a program some times.... My guess is that the explorer.exe is damaged and reinstalling it would fix the problem. I scanned with norton and webrout spy sweeper 0 infections. You can find Here my HijackThis log , didnt want to make this a long post with the HijackThis log. Any ideas ? Am i right about reinstalling the explorer.exe ? if i am how can i do it ? I want a solution that doesnt lose me my updates. ( Running windows xp SP2 btw ) Any help would be appreciated Thank you

05-Jan-2006, 06:17 PM #2
*bump* + more information : when starting up my pc 2/3 start ups it starts frozen with the symptoms stated above. ( can't click anything )
Member with 1,192 posts.

Experience: Wile E. Coyote ( Super Genius )
05-Jan-2006, 06:26 PM #3
when its doing this, click on ctrl + shift + esc or ctrl + alt + delete to open up task manager
see what is using up all your CPU time or using an usually high amount of memory at the time.

05-Jan-2006, 06:42 PM #4
when starting up... clicking on a button on my keyboard the buttons that do actions lke open media player thats sometimes... i cant open taskmanager and see because i can scroll down.. cant click anything.
Removed by request with 407 posts.

05-Jan-2006, 06:52 PM #5
start\run(type and hit ok)cmd\expand d:\i386\explorer.ex_ c:\Windows\explorer.exe

(assuming cdrom is drive d: will fix explorer.exe)

05-Jan-2006, 06:54 PM #6
the cd room is F: ... what is that ? i should write that with my xp cd in the cd room ? what does it do ?

05-Jan-2006, 06:56 PM #7
start\run(type and hit ok)cmd\expand f:\i386\explorer.ex_ c:\Windows\explorer.exe

it will restore the orginal explorer from the xp cd

05-Jan-2006, 06:59 PM #8
start\run(type and hit ok dont get this part... do u mean open start menu type cmd in run the type \expand f:\i386\explorer.ex_ c:\Windows\explorer.exe ? Dont think so. And would something happen ? i have sp2 on this windows ( not on cd ) has the explorer.exe been updated ?

05-Jan-2006, 07:08 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman6267
start\run(type and hit ok dont get this part... do u mean open start menu type cmd in run the type \expand f:\i386\explorer.ex_ c:\Windows\explorer.exe ? Dont think so. And would something happen ? i have sp2 on this windows ( not on cd ) has the explorer.exe been updated ?
you are right bad idea if cd does not have sp2. There is another way but it takes a like longer in the run box type "sfc /scannow" it will check all protected system files to make sure they are not missing or corrupted

05-Jan-2006, 07:30 PM #10
did that.. it asked for the xp cd gave it ran for a while then t ended... Dont know if it worked will post soon. Thank you.

06-Jan-2006, 11:50 AM #11
ddnt work thank you though
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!