Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Read failure on internal hard drive

(!)

Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jan-2006, 07:07 PM #1
Read failure on internal hard drive
Hi,

Every time I turn my computer on I am getting the following error message;

"Read Failure on internal hard drive. No bootable devices -- Strike F1 to retry boot F2 for setup utlility"

and every time I attempt to retry boot by entering F1 I do am immediately brought back to the same message. Can someone please help as I am in desperate need to recover company files located on the hard drive.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
Senior Member with 220 posts.

Experience: Becoming Advanced
05-Jan-2006, 07:34 PM #2
Do you have access to another Harddrive? if so, slave the original to the other and try to access it that way. Run any diags you can for the PC and the harddrive, and check in the BIOS to see if it sees anything.
You can boot to a Windows CD as well, you might be able to test it that way.

06-Jan-2006, 10:17 AM #3
Thanks but....
Hey,

Thanks for the quick response that was great, unfortunately I am not the most savy of technical users and would really appreciate a step-by-step process detailing how to go about it or a link to a site that can tell me how.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

06-Jan-2006, 10:29 AM #4
Hi Doug, I see you have your experience level listed as 'Advanced' -- thus the answers that you will probably receive

In any event, when you enter the setup by hitting F2, do you see the hard drive listed there? If so, are you saving changes once you exit?

If the bios does not see the drive, you'll need to be sure that a connection to it didn't become lose inside. It is quite possible that the hard drive died.
Senior Member with 220 posts.

Experience: Becoming Advanced
06-Jan-2006, 11:23 AM #5

06-Jan-2006, 01:11 PM #6
Thanks for the quick response. I've been trying a few things of my own and wanted to bring you up to date with those steps/processes. Here is more info on the system and the steps I've taken so far.

My system:
Dell Inspiron 6000
1.5 ghz, 768 MB RAM
80 gig WD Scorpio HDD
Windows XP SP2.
Purchased in April.
No recent updates to hardware (RAM added over summer)
Can't think of any extreme updates to the software either.

When I started my machine the day it stopped working, it made it to the Windows XP load screen and stuck there "loading" for about 10 minutes. It had never done this before. I restarted. After that, it started giving me the error message. I never saw the WinXP screen again.

In the setup (F2), under System > Device Info, it lists the primary Hard Drive as an 80 GB HDD which it is. I interpretted this to mean that the computer is at least recognizing the presence of the harddrive. I'm assuming that there are corrupted Windows files or something preventing the computer from detecting an installation and thus suggesting that the hard drive isn't there.

I've run ERD Commander. It was also unable to find an installation and couldn't see a drive either.

I have attempted to attach the harddrive to an adapter allowing me to connect it to a desktop machine cable/power source in an attempt to have the drive recognized as a secondary drive. I hoped the computer would allow access to the drive since it didn't have to boot up on it. In theory this would allow me to navigate the drive's files.

I hope this information helps a bit more. I really need those files. I'm only trying to save the files and not necessarily the OS.

Thanks again guys.

06-Jan-2006, 01:39 PM #7
You said you attached it to another computer? What were the results?

06-Jan-2006, 03:11 PM #8
The drive wasn't detected. So, essentially, nothing happened. I also couldn't find the jumper settings for the drive immediately online. It's a 4-pin setup. I tried about 3 configurations but there was no detection.

As I said, the drive was never detected but there was also no error when loading.

I hope that helps.

Thanks guys.

06-Jan-2006, 03:24 PM #9
The WD website should show the jumper settings. WD drives are a bit different if they are not the only drive on the same cable. You might try it on a different cable, and disconnect any cdrom, etc. that may be on the secondary ide channel...just to see if you can get the drive recognized. I'm assuming that it must have been jumpered to master on the other system, so if you put it on the secondary IDE, with the settings as it was, IF it hasn't completely crashed, you should be able to see it.

06-Jan-2006, 03:38 PM #10
I'll try that. Thanks.

06-Jan-2006, 06:36 PM #11
AcaCandy, thanks for the advice. I tried doing that but didn't receive any positive results. On system startup, I kept receiving the message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key."

I had switched the jumpers on the laptop drive to cover all combinations but it didn't work.

I am looking into data recovery services now. Damn, they are expensive.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate any other responses.

Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!