Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: No Sound! "No Playback Devices" Grayed-Out.

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jan-2006, 04:57 AM #1
Solved: No Sound! "No Playback Devices" Grayed-Out.
Hello! I'm getting desperate and I hope you guys can help me.

I am running a WinXP SP2 machine, with a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

One day, during a Windows session, my sound just stopped working. I tried to play a song in Winamp, and got the message: "Device not found. Please select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078." The window title was "DirectSound output v2.2.12 error".

Trying to play a song in Windows Media Player yielded a simlar result: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

Opening Sounds and Audio Devices under Control Panel, I find that in the Volume tab it says "No Audio Device". Clicking to the Audio tab, under Sound Playback, for Default Device it says "No Playback Devices". The area is grayed-out and I cannot select anything. Oddly, under Sound Recording, "SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [9400]" is listed, and the Audigy MIDI synth is also listed under MIDI Music Playback. Looking in the Device Manager, "Creative Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)" shows up fine under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and there are no conflicts here whatsoever.
I've tried all of the following fixes:

1) Uninstalling and reinstalling sound drivers
2) Reinstalling DirectX
3) Editing/Restoring System.ini
4) Using the Computer Management tool, under Services and Applications > Services > Windows Audio, restarting the AudioSrv service
5) Replacing the streamci.dll file in C:\Windows\System32

So far, nothing has worked. Please help!
Member with 8,974 posts.

15-Jan-2006, 07:24 AM #2
I usually fix this problem by downloading the latest sound drivers from the vendor's support web site and delete all sound devices within Device Manager. Then reboot, Windows will find the sound device and try to set it up. But you should select Have Disk and tell it where you stored the new downloaded sound drivers.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dan O; 15-Jan-2006 at 03:01 PM..

15-Jan-2006, 01:39 PM #3
No Sound!
I've tried this a few times, but unfortunately that doesn't work. =(
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
15-Jan-2006, 02:31 PM #4
Have you checked the Properties of the Sound Device in the Device Manager, that would normally be the default device, to see if it has been disabled?

If it shows enabled, try disabling it, then re-enabling it. Does it register a sound when it is re-enabled?

Also, Winamp offers some possiblities for playing with this. In Options > Prefrences > Output

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 15-Jan-2006 at 02:43 PM..
Member with 8,974 posts.

15-Jan-2006, 03:03 PM #5
Some times the problem is caused by a hidden sound device, see below for instructions how to locate and remove them.

Directions -
Ever have those drivers or devices that just won't go away even though you're sure you've uninstalled them? Or, say you replace your old 100Mbps network card with a faster Gbps adapter. But, you can't re-assign it the same IP address because your system insists there is still an adapter installed with that same IP address and you forgot to remove the driver before removing the old card (which is now in your little brother's pc)?

To get rid of that unwanted driver, device, or service:
1) Open the "Start" menu and choose "Run..."
2) Type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and click "ok".
3) At the cmd prompt, type in "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" (without the quotes) and press enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen--this is ok. We are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help us to see hidden devices)
4) On the next cmd prompt line, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.
5) In the Device Manager Console, from the "View" menu, select "Show Hidden Devices".

Now, as you expand the different drivers and devices in device manager you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your pc (these are the usual items displayed), but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right-click, and choose "uninstall" to remove it from the system completely.

Be careful though; you should note that non-loaded devices, drivers, and services are "grayed" out, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you don't need. And, be careful that you don't change too many devices or you might need to re-activate your Windows installation.

Last thing, if you accidentally exit the Device Manager Console you will need to start over again at the cmd prompt. To close the cmd prompt window, type "exit" (without the quotes).

15-Jan-2006, 03:49 PM #6
Dan!!!!! It Worked!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Member with 8,974 posts.

15-Jan-2006, 03:52 PM #7
That's great and thanks for letting us know. I will mark your thread solved.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

04-Jun-2008, 06:03 PM #8
I have been having the same problem for a long time. I used the fix described above and it worked! for the recording and midi device, but not for Sound Playback Device. Sound Playback Device is still grayed out and says "No Playback Device"
My device is a Fast Track Pro USB interface and it is enabled for playback as well as record and midi.

What I see in Device Manager Console hidden devices are a number of "Microsoft Kernel" Audio drivers that are not installed and two that are installed, which are "Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device" and "Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver".
I do not know if what the purpose of these drivers are and if I should uninstall?

Or where else should I look. I can say that i have been searching for a fix for a while and the one posted above was the only one that did any good, and fixed 2 out of 3 issues. Now I just need one more!!
Member with 8,974 posts.

08-Jun-2008, 07:02 AM #9
This thread has been close. If you have not fixed the problem I recommend you open a new thread.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!