Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do I really need all these Running Processes in Task Manager?

(!)

Member with 51 posts.

Experience: beginning intermediate
04-Mar-2006, 02:03 PM #1
Do I really need all these Running Processes in Task Manager?
Forgive me for what all you knowledgable people will probably think is a dumb question. But when I'm not doing anything on my computer but opening my browser and have just booted up, do I really Need all these 35 Running Processes shown in my Task Manager? (I'm using XP Home)

And why are there numerous duplicates of the same things with different "numeric values", please?

Can I eliminate any of those and speed up my system in general? (my boyfriend added 512Meg of RAM to the existing 256Meg, which helps...but would also please like to know about this)

If I can eliminate them from running/starting in the background when booting up, just how do I do that, please?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Do I really need all these Running Processes in Task Manager?-runningprocessesa.gif   Do I really need all these Running Processes in Task Manager?-runningprocessesb.gif  

Last edited by susie_girl; 04-Mar-2006 at 03:32 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,961 posts.

04-Mar-2006, 10:21 PM #2
The two screen shots you showed have CPU usage at 6% and 10%, so those processes at that time aren't slowing you. But you are right that they can, and in particular starting unnecessary processes can increase your boot time.

First look in the Startup folder (Start - All Programs - Startup). If there is anything there that you don't want running all the time, just delete it (they are just shortcuts in there) from the folder. For example, one of mine is Microsoft Office; it initializes Word, Excel, etc. so that they launch quicker. I use Excel all the time so I keep it there; if I seldom used Office, I would delete it from Startup and save the boot time.

Second, Start - Run - msconfig - OK. Look at the Startup tab. Anything you don't want running, just remove the checkmark and remember to hit Apply before getting out. Be careful, and don't remove too many at a time, because you can make your system unstable or worse. I seldom remove anything until I've figured out what it is related to.

As an example, two that I have removed the check marks from are iTunesHelper and qttask because I only use iTunes and Quick Time once a week if that often, so no sense in having them there all the time.

The first time you boot after removing any of these you will get a scary looking message reminding you that you changed your system. Just tell it you don't want to see the message again, and forget it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!