Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

need to burn an xp startup disk onto a cd...

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

07-Mar-2006, 10:05 AM #1
need to burn an xp startup disk onto a cd...
howdy.
i am in france. i was an idiot and left my startup disk at home and now my computer has crashed. it is running windows xp (though not at the moment).
i have been able to find sites to download onto a floppy, but my laptop does not have one and since it is crashed there does not seem to be a way to install a new one. is there a link somewhere out there hiding that will allow me to burn a startup onto a cd?
i will not be back home until july.. anyhelp would be appreciated.

thank you.
Senior Member with 1,226 posts.

07-Mar-2006, 10:21 AM #2
macloverw-

See if any of these help:

http://kadaitcha.cx/startup_disks.html
http://www.bootdisk.com/
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downr..._bootdisks.htm

If worse comes to worse, you can burn a bootable Knoppix CD (live CD) to get on-line, check email, word process, Etc... Burn it as an .ISO image. When checking the link, click the appropriate flag to select the language to read it. (English/Britain, Etc..)
Member with 22,468 posts.

07-Mar-2006, 11:29 AM #3
Looks like those all have instructions for making floppies which you don't have.

Just boot from your XP CD instead.

07-Mar-2006, 11:44 AM #4
Whoops, I think they are, sorry. I did not read through them very well.

I know th Knoppix is a bootable CD, and there's this one too, however I'm not sure if it will help or not.
Ultimate Boot CD

BTW- Mr. Bob Cerelli, I've had your site bookmarked for a long time, and have found it very useful. Thank-you.

Last edited by jnibori; 07-Mar-2006 at 11:50 AM..

07-Mar-2006, 11:46 AM #5
But why burn anything new at all when the XP CD will already boot by itself.

07-Mar-2006, 11:54 AM #6
I think he said he left his CD at home.

Quote:
i was an idiot and left my startup disk at home

07-Mar-2006, 11:57 AM #7
So what's he going to do with a Knoppix or any other boot disk if he needs to install XP. Sounds like what he needs is the XP disk.

07-Mar-2006, 12:28 PM #8
No doubt, the XP CD is the best solution, however as a work around -

Knoppix will allow him to view many of his saved documents and and upload them to a storage site if needed. Images too. Possibly even burn them, using the built-in burning software, however I have not been successful doing that lately. With Knoppix, he can also check email, via the server and surf the Web. If needed, create documents using their word processor.

With the Ultimate Boot CD, I was just going by their claims as a long shot.

Quote:
UBCD4Win is a bootable CD which contains software that allows you to repair/restore/diagnostic almost any computer problem. All software included in UBCD4Win are freeware utilities for Windows®.

07-Mar-2006, 12:34 PM #9
And after booting with the Knoppix CD ... then what?

07-Mar-2006, 12:58 PM #10
Not sure if this is what you meant, but...

Knoppix is a self-contained, portable (Linux) OS that runs entirely from the CD. I use it for emergencies. It boots into an easy to understand GUI.

Quote:
KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.
HERE'S a screen image of an older version, but the layout is basically the same.

07-Mar-2006, 12:59 PM #11
I realize Knoppix is a bootable CD that will let you boot to a Linux type.

But then what. For example, how does it help them reinstall XP without a XP CD? Pretty sure you can't do that from a Knoppix CD.

07-Mar-2006, 01:04 PM #12
Just a work-around until July. Nothing more.

07-Mar-2006, 02:19 PM #13
I'm still not sure how booting to a Knoppix CD is a workaround. Maybe you could explain the next steps using this method to to a reinstall of XP.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-Mar-2006, 06:06 PM #14
I think he's suggesting that he use Knoppix to run, I'm pretty sure he knows that you can't install XP with it.

07-Mar-2006, 06:12 PM #15
To run what? Knoppix?

The computer has crashed and needs to have XP either installed or reinstalled (depending on the level of the crash).

How will running Knoppix help in resolving this problem. Again specifics would be helpful.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!