Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how do i get rid of this file GTGina.dll

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jan-2007, 07:58 PM #31
Just found this Web site. Thanks so much for this fix. It was driving me crazy.
~Ken

Experience: Ubergeek
31-Jan-2007, 12:39 AM #32
Linksys USB Wireless adapter disables XP Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching
A Linksys tech support guy (in India, I think) told me this evening that only two of their USB Wireless adapters have this problem: the WUSB54GC and the WUSB54GSC. Those two models, he said, will not work when managed by just the Windows XP wireless tool (at least not when connecting to an AP that uses WPA2-Personal security). All other Linksys models, he said, will work with just the Windows XP built-in software, which avoids the problem. He specifically mentioned the WUSB54G as not having this problem.

It was annoying to me that he didn't seem to think that the problem is important because, he claimed, complaints about it are "rare."

So we went back to CompUSA to get a new USB WiFi adapter. They didn't have any other model LinkSys adapters, so we got a D-Link WUA-1340. The WUA-1340's installer gives you the option of using the Windows XP wireless zero-configuration utility ("yes"), or a utility provided by D-Link ("no"). It would not connect to our WPA-secured AP using the Windows XP utility, but it worked fine after we uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled them & this time told the installer to use D-Link's application to manage the device.

I can verify that the D-Link utility does NOT interfere with the Windows XP+SP2 Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching, and that it DOES work with a WPA2-Personal key.

However, I can also tell you that NetGear's WG111 v.2 *DOES* have this bug. The offending DLL has a slightly different name (RtlGina2.dll) but exactly the same symptoms. I've also read that NetGear's WG311 v3 PCI Wireless adapter has the same problem (but the DLL name is NrvGina.dll).

Does anyone know what these stupid something-gina-something.dll files are used for??

-Dave Burton
dave460 at burtonsys dot com

Experience: Intermediate
15-Apr-2007, 01:28 AM #33
Smile download driver from website
I found the solution to this problem. Go to the Linksys website and
download the driver for the specific adapter that I purchased. Save it into
a temporary folder. I unplugged the Linksys adapter. Did a system restore.
It should take care of the problem. Run the downloaded driver from your
temporary folder. Plug in the adapter & let Windows detect the driver
automatically. Internet access should work after that.

Just wanted to say this really works. Thanks for the info.
Computer Specs

18-Apr-2007, 12:46 AM #34
Ok, I really need help.

I just got off the phone and computer with the geek squad.

We tried to do a restore point - but that failed.

We tried removing the linksys adapter and reinstalling it - that didn't work either.

I deleted the gtgina.dll file - at start up I still see a log in window.

Boy was it a mistake buying this linksys adapter and router.

petlubber@gmail.com
Computer Specs

06-May-2007, 11:19 PM #35
MS fix
MS has a really simple fix to this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302346

Basically you delete one registry value and that's the end of the story. I did it & the adapter continues to work fine, and I'm back to my welcome screen & fast user switching.

Btw I think it's outrageous for a network adapter to do something so obvious like modifying the login experience without even notifying the user in advance that it will happen, and then for the company's tech support not to be fully briefed on the issue.

22-Jun-2007, 07:59 AM #36
Thank you maimonides, your fix worked like a charm and was extremely simple to do. I appreciate you posting that MS link.

I agree, it's ridiculous for the network adapter to do this, I am surprised this has happened with such a reputable company like Linksys.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

13-Jul-2007, 09:50 AM #37
Wink How to fix Linksys usb adapter from removing welcome screen etc.
The solution is as follows:

BE SURE that you have downloaded the drivers, if not click this link below to do so.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...#versiondetail

Remove your usb wireless adapter then remove the software/drivers from your adapter.

Reboot!

If the problem still remains (which is most unlikely) remove this key from the register.

Go to Start > Run > regedit.exe
Locate the key below

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

and delete it!

Reboot!

Then unpack the drivers you have downloaded.

Insert your LinkSys Wireless usb adapter and Windows will ask to search online choose for not now. Then choose Advanced install so you can install your own drivers. Choose for Display All Devices. Then click on Diskette (obvious you don't have a diskette, but since this is the only way to choose your own drivers...) And browse to the folder you've unpacked and open the folder Drivers and open rt73.inf (or similar). Windows will install your usb adapter. Use The Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to connect to wireless networks. You don't need the software from LinkSys only the drivers.

Hopefully helped you all with this information!
Computer Specs

Experience: Beginner
07-Sep-2007, 09:35 AM #38
I am stuck on the same page as this guy:

What garbage! We are stuck on logon interface error with a restart only mode! Can't even get to system recovery! Help! If we could get further we would use all advice, but need immediate help now before the lawn has new yard art!

I did a complete install of Windows XP Professional as an upgrade from Windows ME. I previously had a Linksys adapter connected to the computer when it was running with ME. Now, I am stuck at the screen that says I have a DLL GTGina.dll error and my only option is RESTART. I am trying to get to the safe mode page, so I can reload the Linksys driver, but F8 only gets me to a BIOS setup page. I've been restarting and holding various buttons on startup, but I can't find the Safe Mode. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Sue
Senior Member with 492 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 09:46 AM #39
Hope this will help: This is from a thread I posted some time ago with the same problem. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Anyway, hope this helps.
rtg

First entry:
I've been reading through some of the forum correspondance regarding this GTGina.dll file which, apparently, has to do with Linksys or some other wireless system. Here's where I'm at: I used UNLOCKER to release the dll in the \Windows\System32 folder and deleted it. I tried initially to just remove the registry entry but XP wouldn't let me run REGEDIT. Now, as some of you may have experienced... the system won't log on without that dll file. My only choice is to restart. I need to somehow get back into the system and remove this pest without screwing up my ability to log into Windows, AND return my XP log on screen to a regular XP log on screen. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

Second (last) entry:
Okay, I got in. In safe mode, although it now appears that I can find it, I couldn't see REGEDIT but found REGEDT32 and ran that which let me into the registry. Once in, I deleted the GTGina.dll file from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and also unchecked anything unnecessary or questionable under the STARTUP tab in MSCONFIG. I'm currently running in Selective Mode but now I'm in. If I find anything additional that's important to mention, I'll post it.
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2007, 10:37 AM #40
Here's what I am trying now. I am reloading the original ME software, with a complete erase so I should be rid of all Linksys software. Then I will reload the Windows XP.

07-Sep-2007, 10:51 AM #41
Solution
If you download the linksys drivers unpack the zip file and ONLY install the drivers! nbot the software so you have to install the usb wireless key manually!

Follow this solution if you have already installed it with the software

The solution is as follows:

BE SURE that you have downloaded the drivers, if not click this link below to do so.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...#versiondetail

Remove your usb wireless adapter then remove the software/drivers from your adapter.

Reboot!

If the problem still remains (which is most unlikely) remove this key from the register.

Go to Start > Run > regedit.exe
Locate the key below

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

and delete it!

Reboot!

Then unpack the drivers you have downloaded.

Insert your LinkSys Wireless usb adapter and Windows will ask to search online choose for not now. Then choose Advanced install so you can install your own drivers. Choose for Display All Devices. Then click on Diskette (obvious you don't have a diskette, but since this is the only way to choose your own drivers...) And browse to the folder you've unpacked and open the folder Drivers and open rt73.inf (or similar). Windows will install your usb adapter. Use The Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to connect to wireless networks. You don't need the software from LinkSys only the drivers.

Hopefully helped you all with this information!
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2007, 05:45 PM #42
GTGina.dll
he guys i hope this lnk will work out to solve your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302346
Junior Member with 7 posts.

18-Sep-2007, 08:01 AM #43
fix
Hi do i understand your problem right .I installed wireless dongle on xp pro and it changed the login to win 2000 type but there is a fix called xp_fixlogon.zip. Hope This Helps

Last edited by cnc1; 18-Sep-2007 at 10:29 AM..

08-Nov-2007, 11:52 PM #44
any more info on this? is there 'simple' solution as I'm not computer savvy...
Junior Member with 7 posts.

09-Nov-2007, 05:35 AM #45
fix logon
Hi just google the file name download it and run thats all hope this helps
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!