Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My cursor moves by itself!!!

(!)

Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Mar-2006, 10:08 AM #1
My cursor moves by itself!!!
Hi, my problem is that sometimes my cursor will move to the left all by itself. I try to shut down and its like trying to shoot moving ducks in order to press the buttons on the screen. It always moves to the left. I have tested the laptop with all the (updated daily) virus software I have, and spyware.
I thought that maybe someone is taking over my pc. Fortunately I don't keep any sensitive files or passwords on it, but it is very annoying to say the least. It hasn't happened for a couple of days now, but it can happen any time. It isn't always when I'm online, but the pc uses a wireless connection.
It only started happening a week ago. Anyway, I'd appreciate any help any of you can give. Oh! Also the machine is very slow.
It's a Dell Lat 610 with xp/256 ram.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,995 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Mar-2006, 10:14 AM #2
Are you using the laptop touchpad or are you using an external mouse?

That laptop could use another 256 MB of RAM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate+
11-Mar-2006, 11:06 AM #3
Check connections; check for dust on laser-mouse sensors; check that it's not the palm of your hand on the touchpad - the thenar, specifically, inadvertently. Or reboot.
Member with 34 posts.

11-Mar-2006, 10:53 PM #4
Well you didn't mention a virus or hijacking so it must be one of those mystery things. Thanks guys
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

11-Mar-2006, 11:11 PM #5
You're quitting already without giving us a chance to find out what the problem is? You didn't answer my question.

We need to see a log of your computer to see what's running in the background and if any "nasties are present. If you're willing to do that, follow these instructions:

Download HijackThis 1.99.1 from this link:

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe

Save the "HJTsetup.exe" file to your desktop or whereever you want to save it.

Close all open browser windows.

Double-click on the "HJTsetup.exe" file that you just downloaded and saved.

Allow it to install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.

Continue to click "Next" in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the "Select Additional Tasks" dialog.

Put a checkmark by "Create a desktop icon", then click the "Next" button.

Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.

At the final dialog box, click "Finish". That will start the HijackThis program. If the program doesn't start on its own, just double-click its desktop icon.

Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. HijackThis will scan your system and then ask you to save the log.

Click "Save" to save the log file. The log will open in Notepad.

Click "Format - Word Wrap" and make sure there is a checkmark next to "Word Wrap". This allows the text to be viewed properly without having to scroll back and forth.

Click "Edit - Select All", then click "Edit - Copy". Do not close Notepad yet. Just minimize it and get it out of the way.

Come back to your thread and open a new reply window, then click "Edit - Paste". The log will then appear in the reply window. You can add any comments above or below the log, if you wish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 34 posts.

11-Mar-2006, 11:23 PM #6
Okay I'll get on the case straight away. Watch this space...
Computer Specs

11-Mar-2006, 11:33 PM #7
I'm getting ready to call it a night and get some sleep. I'll try to get back to your thread tomorrow morning. Just be patient and give us a chance to try and help you.

Member with 34 posts.

11-Mar-2006, 11:48 PM #8
Okay here's my logfile. Hope you can find out from this. If you see any other problem please let me know.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:40:07 PM, on 3/11/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\WeatherBug.exe
C:\Program Files\RedStrike\UltraWipe\Launcher.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://google.icq.com/search/search_frame.php
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R3 - URLSearchHook: ICQ Toolbar - {855F3B16-6D32-4fe6-8A56-BBB695989046} - C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.yahoo.com"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\mttz19xn.slt\prefs.js)
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5Cmozilla.org%5CMozilla%5Csearchplugins%5Cjeeves.src "); (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\mttz19xn.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: UberButton Class - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: YahooTaggedBM Class - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\YIeTagBm.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ICQ Toolbar - {855F3B16-6D32-4fe6-8A56-BBB695989046} - C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Update Service] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\TEKNUM~1\update.exe /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WeatherBug] C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\WeatherBug.exe
O4 - Startup: Reminder-hpc40415.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP PhotoSmart\C200 Camera\Registration\Remind32.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Ultra Wipe Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\RedStrike\UltraWipe\Launcher.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &ICQ Toolbar Search - res://C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O12 - Plugin for .htm: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser\PLUGINS\npTrident.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...?1118680723245
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
Member with 34 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 12:09 AM #9
Okay I'll get on the case straight away. Watch this space...

I use the mousepad on the laptop, but my fingers were nowhere near when the problem happened. There are one or two other problems that might be significant... internet browers very slow at times and sometimes never go to sites at all. When I do a search and destroy scan it shows 2 dlls that have the same name 'shell32.dll' but one of them shows OK in the status and the other shows 'changed' in the status. Not sure which one to delete in case I get the wrong one.

Oh and I just remembered another thing.... sometimes I'm unable to get online and the reason I get is that it cannot get the ip address and says to contact my internet provider. I don't know if this is significant also.

Last edited by drewsmistake; 12-Mar-2006 at 12:20 AM..
Computer Specs

12-Mar-2006, 08:12 AM #10
You seem to be addicted to toolbars:

MSN
Google
Yahoo

Personally, I have nothing to do with them. For starters, not having all those toolbars gives me much more vertical viewing space. Some people like to use them though, and you're obviously one of them.

Your computer has the same problem that most people have with their computer - too many unnecessary programs loading during startup and running in the background. A bloated startup list will sap performance and cause freezes and other problems. Let's get your startup list trimmed down.

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - "Startup" tab. Remove the checkmark from:

ATIModeChange Ati2mdxx.exe
ATIPTA atiptaxx.exe
iTunesHelper iTunesHelper.exe"
QuickTime Task qttask.exe
TkBellExe realsched.exe
SpybotSD TeaTimer TeaTimer.exe
MsnMsgr MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
Reminder-hpc40415 Remind32.exe
Adobe Gamma Loader Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
Adobe Reader Speed Launch reader_sl.exe
Microsoft Office OSA9.EXE

Click Apply - OK afterwards, then reboot. When the SCU wndow appears during reboot, ignore the message. Place a checkmark in it and then click OK.

After you've modified the startup list and rebooted, run another scan with HijackThis and then post that new log here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You've got 2 antivirus programs(AntiVir and AVG) installed and running in the background at the same time. That's not a good thing to do at all because they'll fight with each other and cause problems. You need to uninstall one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do a "search" in your computer for

shell32.dll

When the file appears, make note it what locations it's in and what the version number is. To determine what the version number is, either hover the mouse arrow over its icon or right-click its icon and then click Properties - Version(tab).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 12-Mar-2006 at 08:22 AM..
Member with 34 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 08:56 AM #11
Scan saved at 6:53:22 AM, on 3/12/2006

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://google.icq.com/search/search_frame.php
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: ICQ Toolbar - {855F3B16-6D32-4fe6-8A56-BBB695989046} - C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.yahoo.com"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\mttz19xn.slt\prefs.js)
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5Cmozilla.org%5CMozilla%5Csearchplugins%5Cjeeves.src "); (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\mttz19xn.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: UberButton Class - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: YahooTaggedBM Class - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\YIeTagBm.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ICQ Toolbar - {855F3B16-6D32-4fe6-8A56-BBB695989046} - C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Update Service] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\TEKNUM~1\update.exe /startup
O4 - Global Startup: Ultra Wipe Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\RedStrike\UltraWipe\Launcher.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &ICQ Toolbar Search - res://C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O12 - Plugin for .htm: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser\PLUGINS\npTrident.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...?1118680723245
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe

Which of the two anti virus would you recommend AVG or AntiVir?
I haven't done the shell32.dll yet. Have to go to work...will be back at 5.30 Central time. Thankyou for helping me I appreciate it.
Oh and I don't use those toolbars... they just appeared. Maybe I installed them without realizing it. Don't need them at all.
Computer Specs

12-Mar-2006, 10:08 AM #12
After you make changes in the MSCONFIG "Startup" list, you need to reboot before you post a new HijackThis log.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I would uninstall AntiVir and would keep AVG. After you uninstall one of them, make sure to reboot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you didn't install the toolbars and don't want them, you can get rid of them. Go into Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and see if any of them are listed there. If they are, uninstall them. Make sure to reboot afterwards.

After you've uninstalled one of the antivirus program and have uninstalled the toolbars and have rebooted, run a new scan with HijackThis and then post that new log here. I'll then advise you which entries to select and fix in your new log.

Member with 34 posts.

13-Mar-2006, 03:13 PM #13
Hi, sorry it takes so long to get back to you. I do appreciate your patience.

I got rid of Antivir as you suggested.

I think I have got rid of the toolbar thingy and also the icq toolbar. I don't use icq anyway. I must have accidently installed all that. So easy to do if you don't know much. I noticed my profile says intermediate, but I think I'll change that to dunce.

I did the system config thing you said to do but a message comes up wanting me to revert back to the previous config. It says it is not in the normal mode and that I should choose normal mode which undoes what I did. I haven't done anything yet until I hear what you say. The message comes up every time I start up.

You know it's wierd, but I can't find IE anymore... not anywhere. It must have packed its bags and gone because its just not there. I use two browsers Mozilla and Netscape. Should I just stick to one, and if so which one? Will Windows still run without IE? I didn't get rid of it because its part of the windows package... I presume.

The other thing was that I did a search for the shell32.dll file like you said and it comes up with one normal shell32.dll plus some hidden ones. I chose for it to search the hidden files too just in case it is there. I made a copy of the search results below:

shell32.dll C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ 8,128KB App Ext 8/18/2001
shell32.dll C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB93086$ 8,188KB App Ext 8/4/2004
shell32.dll C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB900725$ 8,252KB App Ext 2/28/2005
shell32.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32 8,253KB App Ext 9/22/2005
shell32.dll C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB93086\SP2QFE 8,254KB App Ext 2.28/2005
shell32.dll C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB900725\SP@QFE 8,255KB App Ext 9/22/2005

Below is the new report:

Scan saved at 1:12:17 PM, on 3/13/2006

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser\netscape.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto

Last edited by drewsmistake; 13-Mar-2006 at 03:21 PM..
Computer Specs

13-Mar-2006, 05:50 PM #14
Whenever you make any changes in the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab and then reboot, the SCU window will appear with that message. Just ignore the message, place a checkmark in the window, then click OK. This will prevent the window from appearing again - until and if you make any more changes in the startup list.

If you're not using ICQ or ICQ Lite, make sure to uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs, then delete its folder from inside the C:\Program Files folder.

Is there a ZIP drive in that computer and do you use it?

If you've been using Internet Explorer and its blue "E" is missing from the desktop, it should still have an entry in the Start menu.

Member with 34 posts.

13-Mar-2006, 08:54 PM #15
I have a zip drive but its not in the computer right now. The last time I used it was... maybe a month ago.

There is no blue IE icon on the desktop, and there is no icon in the startup menu.

Did you find anything in the report?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!