Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Print/Spooler Registry Fix

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

20-Mar-2006, 05:33 PM #1
Talking Print/Spooler Registry Fix
The other day I was cleaning up my registry (carefully I might add) deleting junk I knew was junk. A day or so later I needed to print and lo and behold there were no printers on the control panel and I kept getting an error 1068!!!!!!!!!!! So for the last day or so I have delved it to the morass of printer/spooler problems on the net. Well today I finally fixed the problem.

A while back our old Lexmark inkjet went south. So the other day I uninstalled the Lexmark miscellaneous programs/drivers. When I was cleaning up the other day some (lex***.***) entries were still in the registry so I deleted them also. I checked B4 I deleted any, on the internet to be sure each deleted key was not “important”.

After considerable browsing on the internet I was lead to check the spooler which I found was NOT started. Using services.msc I set all the recovery settings to "restart the service" but when I tried to start it again I received the error “lack of resources” and it stopped itself. It now became a bit frustrating. After 2 days of browsing I found an obscure HP fix for another similar error which was directly related to Lexmark printers.

Apparently in the registry at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\currentcontrolset\service\spooler
the key “dependonservice” when loading a Lexmark printer is set to “lexbcse.exeRPCSS”. Seems when you de-install the Lexmark stuff this key is NOT deleted and restored to its default value “RPCSS.” All I did is delete the :lexbcse.exe" part, rebooted and the spooler started again

Hope this helps someone!
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2008, 12:44 PM #2
Thanks for the fix above
Well two years later your fix was indeed helpful to me. It did the trick. On this desktop a Lexmark printer had never been installed, or used ever. So I don't know why that Registry key was found to be exactly as you described it to be, but it was.

And to note this was after I had used the cleanspl.exe tool from the Microsoft Resource Kit.

Thanks!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!