Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Explorer won't save password!!

(!)

Junior Member with 22 posts.

30-Mar-2006, 10:43 PM #1
Internet Explorer won't save password!!
When I connect to my work email (web based exchange email server) it pops up a box asking me to authenticate.

This box used to have a little checkbox that said "remember password". I usually kept that checked and it would retain my userid and password. However, that option isn't coming up anymore. It just has the box for my user and password but no checkbox!!

I went to the settings in the browser and said to allow remember password, etc, but the checkbox won't come back!!

Not sure what happened. It was working earlier today, and I just turned my computer back on and it's not there anymore.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a bunch of sites I go to that use this form of authentication and having it saved for all of them keep me sane!!!

I'm using windows xp home and internet explorer 7.

TIA
Senior Member with 2,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Mar-2006, 11:23 PM #2
Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and download #13 Restore IE autocomplete password prompt

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

30-Mar-2006, 11:41 PM #3
Thanks for the reply.

I just ran the script and got the pop up box saying it was restored, but I am still seeing the same thing with the password prompt

31-Mar-2006, 12:03 AM #4
In IE > tools > internet options > content tab > autocomplete. Click Clear Forms and Clear Passwords. Then put a check in User names and passwords on forms and check Prompt me to save passwords and ok your way out.

It may be different since you're using IE7.

31-Mar-2006, 08:34 AM #5
Yes, I found the equivalent of that in ie7. It was one of the first things I checked actually, but it did not fix the issue.

31-Mar-2006, 01:08 PM #6
how weird. i spent 2 hours this morning installing firefox and finding good plugins to get it to a state where i like it (yes, the password problem was annoying enough for me to stop using ie!!). So I isntall a firefox plug in which allows you to use IE browser within firefox, and this one SAVES my password. I go back to IE and try the password box again and it works now!..not sure what plugin i installed on firefox that changed whatever setting was changed to make it work though.

31-Mar-2006, 07:59 PM #7
I was going to say that since IE7 is still in beta, this could be a bug, just a guess. Perhaps if you restarted since you installed Firefox, this could be the reason IE is working, again just a guess. Windows is a mysterious thing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!