Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

View Laptop on TV Screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Apr-2006, 10:29 AM #1
View Laptop on TV Screen
I want to be able to view my laptop onto a TV Screen - specifically for powerpoint.
I have the cables to connect, but all I can see on the TV is the Desktop wallpaper, without any icons. Any program opened will not show on the screen.
It used to work, but I do not know why it doesn't now.
Any ideas please
Member with 658 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Apr-2006, 12:45 PM #2
The way that is setup is basically a dual monitor setup. THe desktop on your TV is actually another monitor. Drag whatever you want on your tv over to the right from your laptop. That should put it on the tv.
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2006, 01:39 PM #3
Thanks for the reply and I understand what you suggest, but I am still having problems
Iused to watch DVD's from my laptop on the TV screen. Now I cannot. If I put the DVD in the drive and run windows media player, all I see on the TV is the desktop wallpaper.

If I drag a shortcut to the TV monitor as the second monitor and click on it, it brings up the program on the Laptop only.

It used to be automatic, that when I plugged into the TV, everythig seen on the laptop screen was seen on the TV.

I hope that makes it a little clearer.
Member with 658 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Apr-2006, 01:49 PM #4
That probably depends on your video settings. Try to go into your display settings and see how the dual monitor is setup. What kind of video card do you have? Nvidia? ATI? More than likely it is just not setup properly in your video driver. Also, you can try to update the driver. Nvidia comes out with a new one about every month.
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2006, 04:08 PM #5
The Video cards is an ATI IGP 340M.
If I go to the display settings, I have the option to extend the laptop to the monitor. When I do this, the wallpaper appears on the TV, and if I press the identify, the TV displays a 2 and the laptop 1.
If I go to the advanced settings and look at display, it shows my TV as being a monitor. If I change the 1 and 2 keys, then I can display straight on to the TV, but now the Laptop only shows the wallpaper.
Originally, if I put a DVD on then the film would show on both the Laptiop and the DVD. not one or the other.

It used to work, I don't know why it doesn't now.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

21-Apr-2006, 05:02 PM #6
There are several modes for most laptops. I can display dual monitors, or the same info on the internal or external monitors, depending on what I pick. You need to adjust the video settings as mentioned. Since it used to work, the capability is obviously there.
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2006, 05:21 PM #7
I can find no tab, drop down menu that allows me to choose.
I need to find someone with an ATI video card (IGP 340M). It seems from their web site that this card was installed in Compaq notebooks.
Am in the UK, need to go to bed, maybe it wil be clearer tomorrow.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

05-Oct-2007, 03:51 PM #8
Same problem
I am having exactly the same problem with my laptop. Any resolution to this problem?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!