Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USB recognition problems

(!)

Member with 68 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Apr-2006, 07:30 PM #1
USB recognition problems
I have a camera, a scanner, a card reader and a USB flash drive all of which are read and used with no problem on a system runnign Windows ME. On XP however only the scanner and the card reader are read properly. The camera and the flash drive are seen but not properly read or usable in any way. In fact the flash drive is recognised and then totally freezes the system so I have to restart the PC.
Oddly enough though on one occasion when the flash drive was already connected when I booted up it worked for a while. When I removed it and replaced it later the old problem returned. Also when I disabled the enhanced USB driver the camera worked for a while until XP decided to take over and re-install the driver on its own.
I have read that many people are having this problem and nothing seems to work for everybody. Are Microsoft going to sort this out? I can't find anything useful on the website!
Thanks,
James
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

21-Apr-2006, 08:12 PM #2
Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.
Member with 68 posts.

22-Apr-2006, 10:10 AM #3
Thanks John, I have never entered the registry before so it seems a bit scary. I take it from your text to be saved that you do not mean the quotation marks to be included in the last line when the instructions are typed in or do you?
Have you come across many people complaining of this problem as I suggested?
Regads,
James
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-Apr-2006, 11:14 AM #4
Actually, I mean for EVERYTHING between the ---- lines to be included in the file.

Yes, tons of people have this issue, that's why I have that canned script on my clipboard manager.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

26-Mar-2007, 11:58 AM #5
Hey...

hey i realise this is an old thread but I have a similar problem to James (above) my computer does not accept any USB input devices...this includes mp3 players, printers, scanners, flashdrives, cameras and external harddrives (my mouse and keyboard are not affected)

I followed the steps above as instruced unstalling everything including all otherwise hidden devices and updated the registry then rebooted twice but now the USB ports are registerd as unkown devices so obviously nothing can be put through them.

Why did this not work? Do the usb drivers need to be updated? What should I do?

Before i took these steps i created a system restore point so i can undo changes if neccesary.

Any help greatly apreciated this problem has been happening for a while now
and it is driving me slightly crazy!

Thanks

Henry
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

26-Mar-2007, 06:50 PM #6
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1bump!!!!!!!!!!!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!