Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to Open .LNK files

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-May-2006, 03:29 PM #1
How to Open .LNK files
Hello, nearly all of my files, including desktop icons, have been changed to files with the .LNK extension and I am unable to open. I get the usual window message: "Windows can not open this file; needs to know what program created it - what to do - use web service to find the appropriate program or select program from list."
I have tried several fixes suggested at other sites, including the open in safe mode, and at command prompt enter REGEDIT.exe and also tried at Task Manager REGEDIT.exe but get message that Windows cannot open the REDEDIT file either.
Help! Any suggestions much appreciated.. Thanks. Oh, I am running Windows XP Standard. Windows will load and open the desktop, just can't open files. My Opera and Foxfire browser are working, but not IE. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
03-May-2006, 04:56 PM #2
It's a problem with the registry Lnk file association. Sometimes, however, in addition to that there is wide spread corruption of file associations caused by trojans or other malware.

Start by downloading and running the lnk file association registry patch from this site.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Completely unzip the the file. It should appear as a green registry icon. Then double click it to run it. You should receive a prompt to merge it to the registry, and then a confirmation that it merged successfully.

If there is an error message along the way, report it exactly.

If you are encountering the problem with regedit not opening, download the attached zip file. Completely unzip it.

Right click on it and select "install" from the right click menu. There will be no prompts or confirmations.

Then try the lnk file registry patch again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip regfix.zip (359 Bytes, 3539 views)
Computer Specs

03-May-2006, 05:35 PM #3
Thank you, will try my limited 'puter skills. But, how do I "merge the registry"?
Thank you very much. (I also tried to restore but unable to do that either.)
Computer Specs

03-May-2006, 05:38 PM #4
Just an FYI: I am running a scan presently using pandasoftware as none of my a/v or anti-spyware programs would work. Yes, I too, have ad-aware SE plus and Ad-Watch SE Plus and clicked "Block" when bunches of windows popped up advising of registry change attempt.
Computer Specs

03-May-2006, 08:52 PM #5
When the registry file, the one from the site I linked to, is completely unzipped, it should appear as a green icon.

Be sure to disable Ad-aware's AdWatch -- this could prevent the following fixes from working.

There are three ways to "merge" it. One is just double click, the second is to right click and select "merge", the third is to run regedit and select File > Import.

The other file I attached here is a ".inf" file. Files of this nature can be used to modify the registry and it's file association entries, when others do not work. It does not require regedit to work -- and should repair the file association that is keeping it from working.

In a pinch, there may also be a way to run "exes" in this predicament. See this post:

http://forums.techguy.org/2552988-post24.html

To see the full thread, it's a long one, click the "thread" link in the post.
Computer Specs

04-May-2006, 10:33 PM #6
Hello Rollin' Rog, well, I was unsuccessful in trying to get my .exe files back - I do appreciate your help and suggestions - evidently my files were too badly corrupted or infected. I finally had a computer repair expert dig into it, he spent many hours - found that the Registry was actually fine to his surprise, but still could not get the files back to .exe ; so we did a new reload of Windows XP from the hard disk and I have started over; most all files and folders were transferred to the new XP. This was a bad one to have. Thanks again.
Computer Specs

04-May-2006, 10:50 PM #7
Sorry to hear that -- yes this particular manifestation of the problem has always been tough -- but I'm glad to hear you did get it resolved one way or another.

You're welcome for the efforts.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!