Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard Disk password???

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Network, Wirless technology, Linux
04-May-2006, 06:57 PM #1
Hard Disk password???
Help Help Help

I have a Notebook, with a Fujitsu 80 Gb Hard Drive. turned it on, it asked me
for the Hard Drive Password. Why? I never set one!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-May-2006, 08:20 AM #2
Obviously, someone did. This is an anti-theft measure with some models of laptop hard disks. You'll need that password before you can proceed, and I know of no way to bypass it.

Quote:
Some laptops provide a utility to lock a hard disk with a password. These passwords are not the same as BIOS passwords. Moving a locked hard disk to another machine will not unlock it, since the hard disk password is stored in the hard disk firmware and moves with the hard disk. Also, adding a new (unlocked) hard disk to a locked machine may cause the new hard disk to become locked. Also, note that hard disk lock passwords cannot be removed by reformatting the disk, fdisk or any other software procedure (since the disk will not allow and reads or writes to the disk, it cannot be reformatted.) Usually, the BIOS password and hard disk lock passwords are set the same by a user and we can recover the BIOS password directly from the laptop security chip (after it is removed from the system board.) However, it is possible that the BIOS password and hard disk lock passwords may be set different. In this case the BIOS password will not unlock the hard disk. You can test to determine if your hard disk is locked by attempting to access it in another laptop.
Senior Member with 388 posts.

06-May-2006, 12:35 PM #3
Dell does this a lot, i hate them. hahaha.

Yes John is correct in this situation.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,254 posts.

Experience: Skilled: Know all i know and little else
17-May-2006, 11:25 AM #4
cant some bios passwords be removed by disconecting the battery from the proccessor?
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 47 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-May-2006, 12:48 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestormer
cant some bios passwords be removed by disconecting the battery from the proccessor?
In desktops you can take out the cmos battery to reset all setup passwords, if someone installed a 3rd party password program that is for your hard drive then you need to obtain the password.
Computer Specs

17-May-2006, 03:38 PM #6
The hard disk password we're talking about is internal to a laptop hard disk, there is no 3rd party program.
Computer Specs

17-May-2006, 03:39 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestormer
Not in laptops, either the BIOS PW or the hard disk password can not be removed that way.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!