Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

volume is dirty?

(!)

Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-May-2006, 09:07 AM #1
volume is dirty?
After running a Autodesk 3D product my CPU crashed, dell tech support helped reset the system boot, but my machine is still slow and keeps running chkdsk on boot up, and says that the volume is dirty,,, please help!!
Junior Member with 6 posts.

06-May-2006, 09:24 AM #2
Sambe,

try this, hope it helps.

Go to Start- Run and type in cmd to open a Command window.

Type in chkntfs C: It should tell you if the dirty bit is set ("C: is dirty")

If it is, type in chkntfs /x C:

This will prevent chkdsk from scanning drive C: at startup.

To reset it to normal, again open a Command window, and type in chkntfs /d

regards

Zoned
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

06-May-2006, 09:43 AM #3
I'm not sure setting the system to not check the drive is a long-term solution, it's better to find out why it keeps trying to run CHKDSK. Something is obviously corrupted for that behavior to continue through multiple boots, ignoring it won't fix it.
Member with 158 posts.

06-May-2006, 10:55 AM #4
Found this hope it explains a bit more

what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and what you have to do is unset that bit. Every time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-right operation on that particular drive.

How do I fix it, you ask?

Well, that's easy. First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and type " fsutil dirty query d: ". This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!
Computer Specs

06-May-2006, 02:43 PM #5
Actually, you can't do a CHKDSK /F of the boot volume, which I believe is the issue here. That would be queued up for the next reboot, and we're in the same loop.
Member with 8 posts.

06-May-2006, 06:55 PM #6
thanks I think all is back to normal,, thanks Techguys!!
Member with 158 posts.

07-May-2006, 03:28 PM #7
How?

what did you do to cure it ?

may help someone else
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Learning everyday
27-Jan-2007, 08:43 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshY
Found this hope it explains a bit more

what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and what you have to do is unset that bit. Every time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-right operation on that particular drive.

How do I fix it, you ask?

Well, that's easy. First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and type " fsutil dirty query d: ". This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

I just completed the process outlined above and it seemed to work...thank you. Question I have is, do I need to reactivate the CHKNFTS check?
Computer Specs

27-Jan-2007, 12:12 PM #9
CHKNTFS /D restores it to default behavior.

CHKNTFS /? will show you a help screen of all the options.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Jul-2007, 10:24 PM #10
Smile Solution Works!
Just a thank you note. There are quite a few web links for this problem, all of them tell you the cause but very few showed your simple solution which worked like a charm, so I'm now a new member!

Regards

Dolo
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!