Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Weird "ding" sound with no apparent cause...

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

09-May-2006, 12:06 PM #1
Weird "ding" sound with no apparent cause...
Hi,
My computer (Toshiba notepad laptop) has recently started making a "ding" noise and it isn't correlated to any action I am taking (ie opening a new window, clicking my mouse, or any specific program). It happens at completely odd frequencies with no apparent cause.

I've turned my sound scheme to "No Sounds". I've done a search for spyware (nothing unusual). I've uninstalled any programs that were recently installed (it's still there). I've searched for all .wav files on my computer's c: drive and can't even find the sound that I'm hearing when I play all of the files. Nothing matches it.

Any ideas on some sort of program I could run that might filter out more sound files? Should I have searched on something else other than .wav?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Susan
downinfront downinfront is offline downinfront has a Profile Picture
Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Professional
09-May-2006, 12:27 PM #2
sometimes when in a text box and you use your arrow keys it will ding to let you know that you are at the edge of the field. do you have anything wierd in your system tray or in your add/remove programs menu in control panel? I ask that as maybe some 3rd party software has made it's way unto your pc. is it really random? as if you didnt touch it, the sound would eventually come up?

09-May-2006, 12:49 PM #3
Hi!
Yes, it's totally random. Sometimes I'm sitting here reading an email, not touching anything and it happens. I've gone through the Add/Remove programs screen in the Control Panel to see if I see anything weird or new and I don't. I tried looking at the Task Manager to see what processes were running, but I'm not an expert on all of that stuff and can't really tell if there's something like spyware in there. I run Spybot frequently and have a bunch of antivirus stuff (eTrust, Windows Live OneCare, Windows Defender) on my computer, so I have been thinking it's pretty protected. I actually un-installed OneCare and Defender this morning, wondering if they are the cause, but I'm still getting the ding. It's as high-pitched very quick "ding", but not the same "ding.wav" that's in the Sound Scheme panel.

Thanks again in advance for your help!
downinfront downinfront is offline downinfront has a Profile Picture
Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Professional
09-May-2006, 01:00 PM #4
maybe a form of communication program, like aim, yahoo, msn, trillian, etc... a user has setup a sound to play when they come online? maybe intereference with the speakers, are they in a ups? I have my speakers in a ups, and if something barely hits the cable it makes a poping sound, that is definately not a ding though.

09-May-2006, 01:03 PM #5
I only have Google Talk and MSN IM and have sounds disabled in both. I also don't have external speakers. This sound comes out of the internal speakers into my headphones or out of the computer's speakers. Argh!
GPaDavis GPaDavis is offline GPaDavis has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 178 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-May-2006, 01:18 PM #6
Just a wild thought. Wonder if it's a mechanical source? Try covering the speakers -- maybe w/scotch tape? See if you can hear anything then. If not, the the source is electronic, if it's still present then it's probably mechanical (??).

Caution: make sure you cover ONLY the speaker openings and NOT any ventilation openings. Covering the vents could be disastrous for the laptop. If you're not absolutely sure -- then don't do this test.

HTH,
Bob

09-May-2006, 02:44 PM #7
If it comes through my headphones as well as through the computer's speakers, then it couldn't be mechanical, right?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!