Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No USB device seen on My Computer

(!)

Senior Member with 122 posts.

10-May-2006, 07:27 PM #1
No USB device seen on My Computer
Well that is not 100% true.

The only USB devices that are seen in my computer are the devices that were installed before I had this problem or have there own software. For example I plug in my PSP and windows sees it and tells me it is ready for use I go to "My Computer" and its not there. I then right click on my computer and go to manage and I can see the memory card on the PSP appear in the list with out a drive name. I give the PSP a drive letter (for example H) I then view the drive as normal (but it does not appear in My computer). When I close the computer I have to go though the whole process next time I boot up.

There has to be a setting that is missing as this happens both with the PSP and my flash USB and my Card reader. but not my zen micro or phone.

Please help!

11-May-2006, 06:13 AM #2
any one?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-May-2006, 07:41 AM #3
Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

11-May-2006, 08:41 AM #4
I have done this before mate and still does not work

:-(

11-May-2006, 11:02 AM #5
bump
Computer Specs

11-May-2006, 03:35 PM #6
Did you try the devices on another computer?
Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-May-2006, 03:41 PM #7
try goin through bios and plug and play i think it is it might be in there and make sure theyre turned on i had this problem on a comp a few years old not sure if its on latest bios but well worth a try

16-May-2006, 06:25 AM #8
sorry for the delay

I have been away.

Yes I have tryed the devices on other computers and they work fine. and in the bios all the devices can be seen. which makes me think it is a windows setting.
Computer Specs

16-May-2006, 08:23 AM #9
Please be specific about the "devices" that don't work.

16-May-2006, 10:52 AM #10
Any devices that are USB MASS STORAGE DEVICES. In my case my usb card reader, PSP when attached to the computer via usb and USB flash storge drive. These can be seen (and accessed) in the bios and in disk manger but not on my computer. They can be given drive letters as said in my frist post but these letters do no stick when I restart the machine and they do not appear in my computer.

As I said it must be a windows setting or driver that is missing!
Member with 61 posts.

Experience: Tech Support
16-May-2006, 03:39 PM #11
Might be USB 2.0 Enhanced Driver. Have you tried running Windows update? I know this sounds kind of hoakie but when I had to install a new hard drive on my lap top my USB mass storage device (Seagate 160GB USB drive) would not show up until after I installed SP2 in XP pro plus ran windows update and pulled the USB 2.0 Enhanced Controller driver.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
16-May-2006, 04:43 PM #12
Run regedit

Do you have this key and is the startup mode set to 3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

Do you have any devices listed under this key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR

Run services.msc is the Plug and Play service present, started, and set to 'automatic' startup?

Open Folder Options > View and ensure "show hidden files" is enabled. Navigate to C:\windows\INF

Do you have "usbstor.inf" there? Right click on it and select "install". There will be no prompts or confirmations.

Reboot and try attaching a USB storage device. Do you get any detection sound?
Attached Thumbnails
No USB device seen on My Computer-usbstor.jpg  
Member with 3,202 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-May-2006, 05:55 PM #13
have you gone into the bios and instead of letting the bios configure the devices have windows do it...if its set to enable set it to disabled or vice versa

17-May-2006, 06:01 AM #14
Thanks for the suggestions, Im not at home at the mo and im working of my GF laptop but

Rolling rog

I do get the detection sound and I get the little pop up box that tells me what the device is and it is correct. and when I unplug the device it all does the dis-connect sound. If that is of any help

Happyrck

I have tried this to but no luck

JohnUSAf

Im bang uptodate on all windows xp patchs and have SP2 and the USB slots on the motherboard as well as my usb 2.0 card has this probelm

We will get there....I hope :-)
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 333 posts.

17-May-2006, 07:49 AM #15
when i had a problem with usb things not appearing in the my computer bit, it was becuase they were trying to have the drive letter as some of the network drives. to solve this i had to plug in a couple of devices first so that when i stuck in the usb device i wanted, it was assigned a free letter and was viewable in my comp.

i dont know if this is related at all, do you have network drives?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!