Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

the enemy: usbport.sys

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-May-2006, 02:52 PM #16
I am sorry for interupting this troubleshoot it looks realls good but I have a slight suggestion

Please go to this site and download the new driver for USBPORT.SYS

http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/240/240747.htm

I think the driver is a little off. When nothing is plugged into any of the usb ports it should register as inactive and not take any of the resources.
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-May-2006, 03:43 PM #17
weird.....
Well, I downloaded a new usbport.sys from DriverGuide.com (after one hell of an annoying registration process) and replaced the old usbport.sys in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ with the new one.

And now, after having resumed usbport.sys via process explorer, it is using about 75% of the cpu power rather than 100%. wtf?
Computer Specs

20-May-2006, 03:58 PM #18
Did you just copy the new file over the old file or did you go thru Device Manager and update it that way?
Member with 37 posts.

20-May-2006, 04:04 PM #19
I just copied and pasted.
Member with 37 posts.

20-May-2006, 04:25 PM #20
approaching a solution?
It appears to me that the solution to my usbport.sys problem will be reinstalling the drivers for my usb slots (not any devices that connect via usb, but the usb capability itself).

but I do not know how to do that and nor have I been able to find out via google.
Computer Specs

20-May-2006, 04:27 PM #21
Sorry that might not work you have to install the driver properly thru windows. It should get installed thru Device Manager when you see the device in there just open it and go thru update driver and you will have to manually make it find the usbport.sys file and then reboot the computer. If you got a drop from 100% to 75% we are on the right track.
Computer Specs

20-May-2006, 04:40 PM #22
ralph.m , A little farther down this thread you will find a post from Rollin' Rog to me (ozrom1e) and it gives a procedure that is better than what I posted here for Removing and reinstalling the USB devices and Rollin' Rog gave me this link and I thanked him there and here. I have removed my original post and inserted this one.

http://forums.techguy.org/3435808-post2.html

With this addition: set a System Restore point first.

When creating the regfile in Notepad, make sure you save it as type "all files" -- not as a text file or it won't work.

If on rebooting, Windows doesn't know where to find something, point it to

c:\windows\INF

I hope this helps and we are all working together to fix you problem. Have a good day and good computing

Last edited by ozrom1e; 20-May-2006 at 08:36 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
20-May-2006, 04:50 PM #23
The problem isn't with the driver and you should leave the XP SP2 version of the driver alone: 5.1.2600.2180

Are you using a USB modem?

What exactly is this service, do you know?

O23 - Service: PBKNTService - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\FILEST~1\PHOTOT~1\PBKNTService.exe
Computer Specs

20-May-2006, 05:12 PM #24
After he copied and pasted the .sys driver he got this to say, And now, after having resumed usbport.sys via process explorer, it is using about 75% of the cpu power rather than 100%.

If it is not a driver issue why did the cpu go down 25%? Besides what I told him to do will hurt nothing and might find what is causing the problem when you plug in the devices again. Heck it might even clear up the problem or he might find out he has some bad USB port(s).
Computer Specs

20-May-2006, 07:46 PM #25
What ever is using the port is responsible for this issue and it may vary normally. If this were really a driver problem it would likely be faulting.

When you send someone off to copy a driver from a website you run the risk of having them get the wrong driver version unless you specifically have them check. Versions on the web may not necessarily be XP SP2 versions.

Second, even in the case of a corrupt driver, it is usually unnecessary because XP stores multiple copies of these drivers. Just do a full drive search for it and you should find copies in the windows\servicepackfiles\I386 folder as well as it's normal location. Copying from here, when it is really necessary, ensures the latest compatible version.
Computer Specs

20-May-2006, 08:00 PM #26
True and what I asked the member to do by removing all of the drivers and letting Windows reboot will re-install the right drivers for his system and if anything it will either be the same or cure the problem but one thing is for sure it will let us know whether or not it was a driver problem so we can proceed another direction.
Computer Specs

20-May-2006, 08:13 PM #27
Removing and reinstalling the USB devices may be necessary, but I'd recommend following this procedure to ensure it is done thoroughly:

http://forums.techguy.org/3435808-post2.html

With this addition: set a System Restore point first.

When creating the regfile in Notepad, make sure you save it as type "all files" -- not as a text file or it won't work.

If on rebooting, Windows doesn't know where to find something, point it to

c:\windows\INF
Computer Specs

20-May-2006, 08:24 PM #28
I agree and I did not know you had an article here like this. I will modify the post I put up immediately. I thank you for this very good reply, and I will look at this area that this article came from a little closely.
Member with 37 posts.

21-May-2006, 01:21 PM #29
progress
I created fix.reg and ran it successfully.

Via device manager, I uninstalled everything under USB controllers except "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller," "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller," and "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller." When I try to install those 3 (2 share the same name), device manager stops responding. I should note that the 3 I can't uninstall are present (i.e. not grayed out) whereas all the devices I uninstalled (and there were a lot) were grayed out.

I uninstalled all of the non-present usb disk drives (a lot of them).

I uninstalled a lot of "Generic volume" devices under "Storage volumes," but two, non-grayed-out "Generic volume"s remain...

No "unknown devices."

So now I am set to try and restart twice and see if the comp is still messed up. Hopefully it's not a problem that I couldn't uninstall everything...

TTYL.

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 21-May-2006 at 01:40 PM..
Computer Specs

21-May-2006, 01:40 PM #30
If no joy, you might try doing the ones you had trouble with in Safe Mode. I don't know of any reason why the procedure should cause the Device Manager to stop responding.

PS: we understand your frustration, but no obscenities in posts please -- even when they get replaced by asterisks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!